Dozens injured in Waukesha, WI at Christmas parade: Nov 2021 [update: 6 dead, over 40 injured][update: trial]

As someone who spent a week in Waukesha on business a few years ago I can confirm this - what a twisty mess of streets! Very confusing. Frankly, I’m a bit surprised he found enough straight-away to get up to the speed he did.

Online rumors say a lot of the kids who were injured go to the Catholic School at Saint Joseph’s in Waukesha.
Can anybody confirm this?
FYI–I used to go to that school, as a child.

The police said at least 5 died and 48 injured. I hope it doesn’t go higher.

All of the fatalities (so far) were Dancing Grannies, with one exception and that was one of their husbands.

Six children remain in critical condition.

WTF?

Brooks was released on $1,000 bail earlier this month, according to court records and the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s office, which said in a statement released Monday the bail had been set “inappropriately low.”

Brooks posted the bail on November 11 in relation to charges including domestic abuse. The charges stemmed from a November 2 incident in which Brooks is accused of running over a woman with his car while she was walking through a gas station parking lot, according to a criminal complaint.

“Officers observed tire tracks on her left pants leg,” the criminal complaint read.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/us/waukesha-car-parade-crowd-monday/index.html

If that shocks you don’t come to my state. We effectively don’t have cash bail.

So wait, this is a hobby of his? $#!%!

One of them. He was an aspiring entertainer.

There’s a famous bassist called Darryl Jones, if that helps.

I’ve been there many times and enjoyed it a lot. I visited my sister lived up north, skied at LaCrosse, visited House on the Rock a couple times, slid past New Glarus, still jonesing to see Taliesin and the SC Johnson Wax building in Racine, etc.

I don’t think Loach is referring to Wisconsin.

I hope that “etc.” includes Norske Nook

Yes I meant if the low bail given in Wisconsin shocks you don’t come to New Jersey where we no longer have bail. Everyone walks free unless it’s a 1st degree crime and not always then.

At first I thought “that’s ridiculous”. But after a bit of reading, I think bail shouldn’t exist. Either someone is high risk of not showing up at court on serious charges, and so should be kept in jail, or they aren’t, and so should be left free awaiting the court date. Money shouldn’t enter into it.

It’s harder for a fugitive to remain hidden these days, compared to in the 1700s, so tracking down a no-show (for a less serious charge and/or less flight risk) isn’t so risky anymore.

Thanks for clarifying. I’ve never visited NJ.

His defense will be he felt “threatened” by so many people packed together outside, so he “defended” himself against the “rioters”.

I am a bit ambivalent about that. I know the purpose is to avoid a current inequity by which a kingpin who can post a million sleeps at home and someone who can’t scrounge together ten thou for street dealing sleeps in jail. And bail is strictly speaking not to keep you locked up for public protection, it’s a measure to ensure you do show up to court — so the court in this case might have rightly concluded “he isn’t going anywhere”. But still no-cash-bail or mandatory negligible “first-offense” amounts (set as if in a vacuum) seem to exclude a middle.

Well, I should have clarified that I thought Brooks’ priors and seriousness of his actions was enough to put him in the “keep him in jail awaiting court procedures” category.

But I agree this all-or-nothing approach doesn’t do well with borderline cases.

Moderating: Let’s keep political swipes out of this breaking news thread.

Yes, that is what I was referring to with the “set as if in a vacuum” comment.