Dr. Brothers: Unqualified?

Does anyone on this board know if Dr. Joyce Brothers has a license to practice psychology? I’ve never seen evidence that she holds any sort of private practice.

Well, she got her Ph.D from Columbia University and holds a valid license in the State of New York to practice psychology. I don’t know why having an active private practice is necessary to stay qualified; granted its helpful, but as long as she stays current with the literature in the field and gets the continuing education required to maintain her license, I’d say her advice is far more likely to be valid than that of someone without certification or work in the field they talk about.

Thank you. What I was looking for was evidence that she held a license.

http://www.op.nysed.gov/psychbroch.htm

…[follow link, spend 1.5 seconds typing in “brothers joyce” and clicking on “psychologist”]…

http://www.nysed.gov/coms/op001/opscr2?profcd=68&plicno=000475

There ya go.

But I’d just throw in that Dr. Joyce won a big game show prize back in the 50s. The subject: Boxing!

I think I read that that one of the people supplying the questions had written a book on boxing history, and she boned up with that book ahead of time.

Well, not to be nitpicky, but what exactly are you asking if she is qualified for?

If you are asking if she’s qualified to be a practicing psychologist, then certainly a license, etc. is required. But why would you care whether or not she’s qualified to practice psychology? You are not looking for as private practitioner to seek treatment from. You hear Dr. laura ON THE RADIO! She is not “practicing psychology,” she is a radio talk show host, giving advice to people calling in.

She is certainly qualified to be a talk show host, as she can speak, and answer the phone, and push the appropriate buttons. She does not neede to be a licensed psychologist to be qualified to give advice on a talk show.

Neither Anne Landers nor Dear Abby had any kind of psychology or counciling degree, I belive, yet no one questions their advice.

Personally, I have heard Dr. Laura on the radio on occaision. I do not agree with some of her beliefs, and enjoyed listening to various scandals that seem to indicate she is a hypocrite. That being said, being a hypocrite does not diminish the fact that for the most part, her advice to people is sound, and I agree with most of it.

She gets decent ratings, and has a successful syndicated talk show. By definition, that means she is qualified.

Richard, you might be confusing L. with J.

Boy, do I feel like a dope! :smack:

Maybe it was a low blood sugar thing… I guess I just got the idea in my head that the OP was about Dr. Laura (hearing her briefly on the radio today was probably a factor) and once that “fact” lodged in my thick skull, all evidence to the contrary in every other post was ignored. Geez, I knew Dr. Brothers was on “The $64,000 Question” with the boxing topic.

I apologize to anyone who was ever fooled into thinking I had any intelligence or common sense.

To quote Emily Latella:

Nevermind!

Boy, do I feel like a dope! :smack:

Maybe it was a low blood sugar thing… I guess I just got the idea in my head that the OP was about Dr. Laura (hearing her briefly on the radio today was probably a factor) and once that “fact” lodged in my thick skull, all evidence to the contrary in every other post was ignored. Geez, I knew Dr. Brothers was on “The $64,000 Question” with the boxing topic.

I apologize to anyone who was ever fooled into thinking I had any intelligence or common sense.

To quote Emily Latella:

Nevermind!