Dr. Strangelove: Do you know it?

I can’t find a clip of it now, but I thought the scene where Ripper is asking Mandrake if he was ever tortured during the war was really well done. If I recall (it’s been close to 10 years since I’ve seen it), it was a kind of a moving, sad few seconds of dialogue in the middle of this crazy, over-the-top satire.

It is the stated position of the United States Air Force that the safeguards in place would be sufficient to prevent the events depicted in this film.

It’s good to know that the Air Force is protecting my water supply. I would have guessed the Coast Guard, if anyone at all…

My father died while serving in SAC, back in the 50’s. Mother took us to see Dr Strangelove; I was in high school & my sibs a bit younger. She loved it, not having great reverence for The Brass. So did we!

Kids, these days…

Poll results would probably be a bit less one-sided if the thread title were something more vague, like “poll: do you know this movie”.

Come on, it’s Kubrick’s best movie. Of course, it is a classic.

Ask your girlfriend if she can name you another classic in black and white that isnt Casablanca.

I just love the fact the the US President is named Merkin Muffley.

Know it, seen it, own a copy. Made the kids watch it.

I happened to see the entire movie on YouTube the other week. Never saw a whole movie on YouTube before. I just stumbled upon it and couldn’t stop watch part after part, even though I’ve seen it before two or three times. One of the best ever.

One of the ten best of all time.

“Now, Dimitri, one of our base commanders went and did a silly thing…”

Regards,
Shodan

Oh, Daaaad!!! :rolleyes:

Who in the novelization is called “Miss Foreign Affairs” in Playboy. I think the picture in the movie says that also, but I haven’t checked it out fully.

One professor-type friend of mine called the opening title sequence, where the tanker is refilling the bomber in flight, the sexiest scene in movies ever.

Subtle…I doubt if it even caused the censors to wake up, but the scene shows a tanker slowly engaging with the bomber’s fuel input thru a long tube, staying connected for a while as it is lightly jostled, and as it gently disconnects, there is a little spurt of…leftover fuel.

The music? A very liquid version of Try A Little Tenderness.

If you never thought of it this way, watch it again with someone you love.

According to one of the extras on my DVD version, Sellers was supposed to play this role also, but fell off the bomb very early in shooting and broke his leg. When Slim Pickens arrived on the set, someone said how nice it was he came in costume. It was actually his standard wardrobe.

I saw it when it first came out, and have seen it at least a dozen times since. I have both the novelization and the book, Red Alert, it was adapted from.

And, I don’t know of a better one line commentary on the absurdity of world affairs than “Gentlemen, you can’t fight here! This is the War Room.”

Mein Fuhrer, I can type!

Not just a classic, but IMHO Kubrick at his peak.

I think both of you can be correct: a movie can be a classic while not being terribly well-known these days. Hell, my girlfriend watched Citizen Kane for the first time just a month ago.

You should deny her your essence.

My oldest daughter bought the DVD for me for my birthday a few years ago. I’ve made a point of teaching her at least about the existence of many classics (whether she likes them or not is a different matter; at least she knows about them – and she appreciates most of them. [hijack] Like Jeeves and Wooster[/hijack])

If it helps I’m 24.

Dunno if it’s a generational thing.

In my 20s. One of my favorite movies. I’d say it’s quite popular among people in their 20s who are interested in film or history. Lots of my friends are familiar with it.