Dr. Strangelove: Do you know it?

Help me settle a dispute I am having with my girlfriend: I maintain that Kubrick’s '64 film Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb, is what could be called a classic; she, on the other hand, doesn’t think it’s terribly well known these days. So I thought I’d post a poll to settle the question; of course, discussion of the film itself is encouraged (it’s one of my all time favourites).

Instant classic!
My dad and I used to know the entire movie by heart. Do you know who the certerfold is in Maj. Kong’s “Playboy”?

Gen. Turginson’s secretary

Yes. General Turgidsons secretary.

It’s definitely one of the best comedies IMO, one of the few movies that just gets funnier with repeated watching.

Wikipedia lists some references to its cultural importance:

At the bottom of that page are links to other recognition the film has gotten.

Definitely a classic, unless your definition of “classic” is highly limited.

“Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the war room!!”

I guess I’m getting old if the OP’s question even needs to be asked.

I asked people in class the other day if any had seen it. Only one did. I showed a clip.

You didn’t have a check box for Loved it.

FWIW. My wife didn’t know the movie either until she met me. I think we were still dating when I introduced it to her (we would have been 28 or so). She thought it was OK, but it didn’t really make much of an impression on her. I think I first saw it when I was in high school.

I love the movie. My favorite bit is Strangelove’s line, “But the whole point of the doomsday machine is lost if you keep it a secret!”

Hey, they were going to announce it at the next Party congress.

Your girlfriend is wrong, and will have to answer to the Coca Cola corporation for it.

The determination of what is or is not a classic seems remarkably subjective to me.
I think Strangelove is a classic personally.

I think I detect a trend in the poll results.

One of the best parts is how Peter Sellers (one of the greatest comic actors of all time), playing three roles, is outshone (in my opinion) by Slim Pickens, in a part which he allegedly was told to play straight.

That’s actually pretty exactly the situation we’re in now… Perhaps I should have broken down by demographics? (Then again, there isn’t much to break down right now…)

(And no, I didn’t know who the centerfold was. Guess I’ll have to watch it again!)

I’ve seen it. It was OK. I didn’t think it was great. Is it a classic? Most certainly - I don’t have to love something to acknowledge its influence and the results it gets.

You know how he loves surprises.

Absolutely love it! Definitely an all time favorite for me. I don’t know how well the 20 somethings would know it though. I’ll have to ask the nieces and nephews.

Definitely. But I’m not sure the folks on this board constitute a random cross-section of moviegoers. We tend to be zealots.

The movie contains a certain purity of essence…if you know what I mean.

A mile marker in the common culture.