Drawn Together 2/22 (open spoilers)

Some very funny, laugh out loud bits - Walldoor on the curb with an empty cup, a couple walks by and drops some coins in it - Peter & Lois!
I have to watch it again at 12:30 to catch the things I missed from laughing - I’ll be back

It was nice timing on this episode, what with IFC running Requiem for a Dream all night.

their opponants in the badmitton game: Transformer, the HamburgerHelperHand, a Wild Thing, and what else?

A political cartoon and Stimpy.

Crap, I just re-watched it! Did anyone notice the seamless “Judge Fudge Power Hour, Coming Up Next” ad superimposed on the bottom of the screen near the end of the show? I had to FF past the credits just to make sure it was fake.

Popeye’s forearms turning into tombstones.

Excellent.

Thomas the Tank Engine was there, too.

I noticed that. I knew it wasn’t real, though, since the Comedy Central globe would have enlarged, and it wouldn’t have shown up twice. But if there was a Judge Fudge Power Hour, I’d watch it. “Sorry, I can’t save your baby- I’m too busy being delicious.”

Was Captain Hero making a Wihelm scream during the Requiem for a Dream parody?

There was a Judge Fudge Power Hour, though. After the credits were over, it was a quick two minutes sketch.

I knew that. I was saying if Judge Fudge had an actual TV show, I would watch it, even though it would just be 60 minutes of Judge Fudge commenting how delicious he is.

“I’m weaks to the finisch, ‘cuz AIDS beats out spinasch
I’m Popeye the dyin’ man!
of AIDS!

I can’t believe they actually called him Popeye!

He wasn’t just a throwaway for parody sake. He was a freaking character in the show.

Does Viacom hold the rights to Popeye or something?

he could be public domain by now - he’s certainly old enough

The rights to Popeye are owned by King Features Syndicate. I was surprised that they got Billy West, Popeye’s official voice, to do the voice here (as well as Stimpy, who is owned by Viacom).

Parody is a tricky subject. I’m not a lawyer, but under the case of Campbell v. Acuff-Rose, a parody has to make some sort of comment about the work being parodied. Although an earlier case, Walt Disney Productions v. Air Pirates, said that the work couldn’t be parodied dead-on. In this case, most of the aspects of Popeye are parodied- he has a gruff voice, extremely large muscles, smokes a pipe, and mutters under his breath. But in this case, the idea of Popeye is being satirized in a way- he gets his strength from steroids instead of spinach, and has hypodermic needles tattooed on his muscles instead of anchors. If I were a lawyer and this case was brought to court, I would rule in Viacom’s favor, as no one would confuse this with an actual Popeye cartoon, and it is obvious that the use of Popeye is to satirize the idea of Popeye as a strongman as related to the Captain-Hero-takes-steroids plot.