Dresses + Plus Size = Fugly?! UGH

I thought this was going to be a thread about how it’s really hard to find a flattering dress in a plus size when shopping at a “not exclusively for fat girls” kind of store. Seems like a lot of clothing lines have their plus sizes that are just bigger versions of “regular sized” clothes - which are totally unflattering on a large body - or just throwaway ugly designs.

Instead it’s a thread about a teenager agrees that the above is true, she just thinks it’s a good thing.

Oh well.

It pretty much depends on what is currently fashionable. e.g.: empire waisted babydoll tops. Someone in the apparel industry thought making every female look 4-10 months pregnant was a good idea?

I gotta say, I like this metaphor. Welcome, and I hope you stick around.

My sister says the reason empire-waisted tops are said to be slenderizing is because they make everyone look equally fat.

She just bought an empire-waisted dress for her wedding. I’m not sure how this matches up with her theory of empire waists as the great equalizer of fashion.

What are fat women supposed to wear - burlap tents? Screw the jerk in the OP - so-called “normal” weight women have 30 items of clothing for every one item for us fat chicks.

I’m not even sure how a size 12 is considered normal if a huge percentage of the population is overweight, which implies that women’s clothing should have more choice on the larger size end rather than the smaller size end, which we all know is backwards of the way clothing shops actually stock clothing.

For the record, I have as much right to dress in clothes that fit and flatter me as any other woman on the planet. I’m not going to look like a runway model in them, and anyone suggesting that any fat woman thinks for a second that she is going to is just plain delusional. I believe what the OP was trying to say was that overweight women deserve to look as good as they want to, not that she thinks we deserve to have magic wands waved over us and have us appear to be catwalk models.

You seem to be using a questionable statistical definition of ‘normal’. ‘Normal’ can also be used to mean ‘in the abscence of deviating conditions’ like famine, or mass car-ownership and a fast-food driven suburban society.

For the record, I find fat extremely unattractive–but I think fat women (and men) have as much right to wear whatever they want as the normal/healthy do. I also think the girls mentioned in the OP were being little bitches. But hey, you don’t think there’s enough of the clothing you want out there, then start a business.

pdts

I don’t agree - empire-line dresses are clearly not following the body’s natural “fat line”, so they look different-the-same-way* on everyone, yeah. But not fat.

God, I love empire-line dresses. One of the greatest periods of clothing for women IMO, and thanks to all those Austen period dramas, very well-covered in recent film. Sadly, there’s been no similar surge in Flemish peasant knockoffs post-Girl With A Pearl Earing.

*clunky term, but you get what I mean?

I always figure it’s because it’s about thirty times more fun to go shopping for clothes when you’re not fat.

Now I buy my clothes online. :frowning:

Jesus Chirst I hate those fucking shirts. My wife has a few and I hate the fucking things. They do make EVERY woman look pregnant and I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why on earth they are popular. The only women who MAYBE don’t look pregnant in them are women with very small chests but otherwise they look ridiculous.

Ditto, i cant understand why anyone thinks they look good.

I think they were a fad and then middle American got a death-hold on the look because they are easy for overweight women to wear. I keep thinking they’re gonna finally go away but now, the stores are full of those damn tops this spring too. I have a waist, dammit.

But I like babydoll dresses.

Ok, I have no dog in this fight. I’m not a woman, and I’m not fat. And, I freely admit I wasn’t there when the objectionable words were said, so I have no context in which to place them. But…

I read this quote

completely different than everyone else. Perhaps the first sentence was a comment on the plus sized fashions (which hasn’t really been disagreed with by anyone here). Then, the second sentence was a saracastic mockery of the sentiment expressed by the first sentence. The third sentence was a commentary on the 2nd sentence.

IOW, this could have been expressed as, “These plus size dresses are really poorly designed. It’s as if the designers think that overweight people have no right to look beautiful. That idea should be illegal!”

It seems to me that the OP is very sensitive about her size, and was quite cognizant that the teenagers she saw were much thinner than her (perhaps even exemplifying the body she’s aspiring to), so she was prejudiced about what she assumed they were thinking. In this light, maybe she misinterpreted a conversation she wasn’t even involved in.

Given that we now have 3 completely different interpretations of the OP’s complaint, I hold to my original thought: the inarticulateness of teens is to blame. Both of the other interprets are as plausible as my thinking it was a non sequitur of sorts. In short, who the hell knows what was meant. This is a good philosophy to hold when going to the mall or out in public at all.

Empire waist does flatter some body types. But like 99.9999% of all fashion, it flatters the thin more, and the large chested in proportion to rest of body type most, just like most other fashion. This is reality, much as it may upset others. If you want to stay sane and not look like a Barbie doll, may I suggest you find what flatters your body type/coloring and say to hell with fashion? It has never been easier or more accepted to buck trends as it is today. Make your own fashion.

That’s pretty much what I meant. Everyone who wears one looks like they’re hiding a late first/early second trimester pregnancy, of the state where people don’t know you’re pregnant yet, they just think you’ve put on a few pounds. Most of them today are a tunic-length, too, so they end on a lot of women right at the widest part of their hips, which isn’t very flattering.

They look great on actresses, but not on everybody. For example, I look like a pair of boobs on legs when I wear one. Sounds good? Yeah, not so much as you might think.

Heh. I don’t think the milkmaid’s jacket, aprons, and multiple layers of wool are going to make a comeback anytime soon.

You are not alone.

I’m not in the business of starting clothing businesses; I’m in the business of complaining about why clothing stores don’t seem to want to get as much money out of the clothes-buying public as possible, since they seem to have an idea of who wants to buy nice, pretty clothes that is completely different from who is actually shopping for clothes.

(straight male here)

You know, I’ve seen Nigella in person, and the things you notice are her eyes (absolutely amazing… really!) and then her rack (pretty damn impressive, if not as stunning as her eyes). Her ass doesn’t really come into it.

My wife’s a bigger girl, and there are flattering clothes out there, but you have to look pretty hard and for a long time to find them (and get lucky to a degree).

There’s a store called “Torrid”, I think, that sells some pretty stylish plus-sized stuff, and they have a website that you can order from too.

I have a feeling that the usual thing will change with more younger women being fatter than ever before. Market forces, and all that. It’s why there were only “matronly” things out there before; it’s what sold in that size.

When the current crop of 20-somethings hits their 30s, there will be a huge untapped market for plus-size fashion, and somebody will step up to make a few bucks.

Whats wrong with her ass? i just looked her up since i had never heard the name before and i would most definitely tap that without a warrant.

I honestly think that if there was a huge gap in the market, then someone would have filled it. I think self-reporting is quite unreliable here: the clothes people say they would buy differ from the ones they actually do.

At the higher end of the market, though, I suppose talented designers don’t want to design clothes for fat people. Firstly (so they say) clothes look better on the rail-thin. Secondly, within reason, thinner=more attractive, ceteris paribus. So one can understand why a talented designer wants to put their creations on thinner people. Halo effect, and all that.

pdts