Drive Times

I forgot to mention, my only pit falls on the way to work are getting stuck behind the schoolbus, a hay truck or the sr citizens who feel they must be on the road site seeing during rush hour.

45 minutes to an hour (33 miles). I live east of Atlanta and work just south of the city. It’s the only tolerable commute pattern left. When I worked downtown it took 1.25 - 1.5 hours to drive 25 miles.

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

Falcon:

No, because I’ve driven in cities all across North America, and I’ve seen bad traffic in many of them.

No one would ever consider New York City a low-traffic place. But I’ve been to Los Angeles and have been unable to get onto the freeway at 5 PM. I’ve been to the Twin Cities and crawled to the Mall of America. I’ve been to Boston, and I’ve survived the experience, but it was by no means certain that that was going to be the outcome.

Traffic sucks. Everywhere.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

I have worked as a data-entry operator for TBN, the religious TV network whoses offices are in Tustin, CA. I live in Gardena, 37 miles to the northwest; usually take the 405, the Garden Grove Fwy (SR 22) and I-5. Depending on when I start, the commute can take 30-40 minutes to an hour and a half. I learned that to get there by 8 a.m. requires that I get on the freeway by 6:40; then I miss most of the heavy outbound traffic on all three freeways. (The workday ends at 4 pm, so I get to head back home before 5 pm; most of the heavy traffic is going the other way at the time and it takes just about one hour–unless traffic is particularly heavy (I almost wrote “hairy”) at the junction of I-5 and SR 22, in northwest Santa Ana.

I’m in the same boat as jayron 32—I work less than a mile from my home at just about the best job I’ve ever had. Unfortunately, I’ll be quitting in a few months, but it was good while it lasted.

“I think it would be a great idea” Mohandas Ghandi’s answer when asked what he thought of Western civilization