Drivers and red-lights

When we started driving you’d get a ticket for running a red-light. Now it’s comman to see 4 drivers run after it’s completely red. Cops too. Wonder what statistics are on accidents due to this?

Cite: Red light running

I’ve noticed a drastic increase over the past 8-9 months. To the extent that drivers are going through when cross traffic has the green and is starting to move. And I see this daily where before I might have seen it a few times a year.
In the same time period, I’ve seen dangerously impatient driving behaviors increase to a large degree.

Scary how human lives seem to be devalued.

Just want to point out some municipalities have 4 second timers, while others have 5 or 6. I live where it is 6, and got caught out on vacation this year when I drove somewhere which only had 4 for pretty much every light I saw. (Didn’t get a ticket tho)

Yes, I am well aware that the law tells you that you must stop if you can, but it also says that you are legal if you are over the thick white line when it goes red.

What I’m seeing (or simply noticing) more of 'round these parts is how many people (ie, 3-4) make the left turn after that light has turned red.

Once in a while this can explicably happen when the vehicle in front of you is, for example, a tractor trailer that prevents you from reasonably even seeing the signal (still not much excuse), but I’m not talking about that.

Just … sailing blithely through the lovely crimson light.

Yeah. Bonkers.

But not me. I’m a perfect driver :wink:

Running red lights is “common”? I have not seen it where I live (SW Ohio).

The only traffic law I see broken on a somewhat frequent basis is turning right when the traffic light is red and there’s a “No Turn on Red” sign.

Left turns are exactly what I was referring to. And from both directions. Here the cops do it to,no lights on. One pulled into Dunkin’ after being 3rd car to run solid red.

But you’re also required to try to stop if the light is yellow. Accelerating on yellow is not allowed. It doesn’t sound like that’s the case.

If you have a big intersection, it’s super common for everyone in the intersection waiting to turn left to do so after the light is red. I wouldn’t really call that “running a red light”, and it shouldn’t be all that dangerous, since everyone can see the cars in the intersection waiting to turn left.

Other than that, which has always been common around here, I don’t see any appreciable increase in red light running.

It’s perhaps because what you are referring to may be legal, and may be under some circumstances the only legal way to make a left.

Laws vary by state but in general one is permitted to enter the intersection in anticipation of making a left turn and wait till oncoming traffic allows it. This can include waiting for the oncoming traffic’s light to turn red (which often means your light has turned red as well, but you are already in the intersection, so your light no longer applies to you), and you can legally turn. This is how it’s suppose to work. And in heavy traffic may be the only way to make a left.

Now some states only allow 1 car in the intersection doing this, and the other cars should wait at the stop line.

Also some drivers wait at the stop line till the red then roll through. This they should not do, but yes they are basically doing the same thing.

Jas09’s cite also says this:

Motorists who are inadvertently in an intersection when the signal changes (waiting to turn left, for example) are not red light runners.

In this area (suburban Chicago), I’ve definitely noticed an uptick, over the past couple of years, in seeing drivers either blow through red lights (usually just after it’s turned red), as well as blowing through stop signs without stopping.

It’s by no means a majority of drivers, but I see it happening noticeably more often. I could hypothesize that it’s a continued growth in distracted driving (cell phones), or maybe a general decrease in people caring about keeping the social compact.

I’ve seen it a lot in the last year. Usually on left turn arrows. A line of 10 cars waiting to take a left. 5 make it through on the green, another 3 during the yellow. The last 2 just go for it and force the oncoming traffic to not accelerate on green.

In my town, we just have a blinking light. On on street, it blinks yellow and on the other it blinks red.

A few years ago, the police gave someone a ticket for running the red light. When the judge asked about it, they said that he slowed down but just didn’t completely stop.

The judge got upset and took the police out for a demonstration. He had the police stand on the corner by the light.

Then he came around in his car and went through the light at about 10 or 15 mph looking both ways. He then came back around and told them that that doesn’t constitute running a red light and that he didn’t want to see any more tickets for that.

Then he came back around and went through the light at around 30 or 40 mph. He then pulled back around and told the police that that was running a red light and that if they saw anyone do that, to write them a ticket.

The police were rather upset about that demonstration.

I believe the law in California requires you to be able to clear the intersection before the light turns red. That is what the yellow light is for. It allows you know the light is turning and if you have the distance and time to stop before the intersection. Anyway that was what was legal many years ago when I started to drive. And cops would ticket you if your rear tires had not crossed the white line on the far side of the intersection.

In LA, the yellow light at busy intersections is reserved for those following “Starman” rules. If you wait for traffic to clear to turn left on yellow, you will grow old and die at that intersection.

Yeah it is, also SW Ohio. Stop signs too. Just yesterday I saw someone completely blow through a 4-way stop going the opposite direction as me. Fortunately the person in the side street whose turn it was saw them coming. Today on the way to lunch, the person I was riding with went right through a red light. It turned red maybe 50’ before we even got to the intersection, but we were already halfway through when someone going the opposite direction did exactly the same thing, while also going straight from a left-turn-only lane. I attribute it mostly to the cops just giving up enforcement, for whatever reason. I weep for the future.

I attribute it to uncaring idiots that don’t know how to drive.

I was always under the impression that that was not a red light, but the equivalent of a stop sign. Which, of course, you shouldn’t run either, but in many cases there’s no reason a stop sign couldn’t be replaced adequately with a yield sign. My parents, for instance, live on a cul-de-sac that exits onto another residential road with clear lines of sight and little traffic. I see no reason why the stop sign that exists there couldn’t be a yield sign.