Driving/camping Memphis to Greenville SC

Planning a trip Late Jan/Early Feb …I want to spend the nights in the back of the truck, preferably camping for free (ninja/Stealth Camping or not). I know that some State and National Forests allow people to just pull off a road access, I know there are river accesses that allow overnight parking, and I know there are free campgrounds off the beaten path in forests. My goal is to travel along the lower tier of states (Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia) though not necessarily along the coast. Does anyone have any gems of things I should check out along this route? Any knowledge of campsites…but also…what should I see/do on this trip. I’m planning on 3 days, but i’m really flexible.

Essentially, give me some ideas to check out. I like out of the way places, but not opposed to interesting touristy places. Not a fan of big cities and exciting night life.

Whaddya got? hit me up with some ideas to visit and possibly even spending the night before I move on.

Even for an experienced traveler, “stealth camping” can be a crap shoot. In the Appalachians, National Forests are mostly private land. NFs usually have designated campground, which are safe but rustic, cheap but chemical toilets and no hookups. Can be cold, even snowy with back roads closed.

Alternatively, you might look for state-marked public hunting/fishing areas, where nobody usually makes a fuss about campers. Sometimes signpostd as “boat landing” or something.

Here’s a couple of places I’ve found over the last 24 hours:

Dutchman lake Ozark IL
Jackson Falls Simpson IL
Teal Pond Shawnee NF Vienna IL

Graham Lake Abbeville MS
Piney Point Como MS
Lake Sardis Clear Creek Primitive Campsite - Lafayette Springs,

Help me fight ignorance.

By definition National Forests are public land. Did you mean that the ones back east are " Limited Access", or leased out to private companies?

Around here with the proper permits +/or done the proper way camping is allowed. Often if done the way the OP wants to, there is no fee.

The external boundaries of NFs may encompass pockets of private land, which would be signposted.

Yes, that happens here sometimes. These pockets of private land can cause some access issues.

If it is posted as private land it is not part of a National Forest, and as such it should not be trespassed upon. I can see why you posted about those pockets. You gave good advice concerning them.

However, even if the NF is almost surrounded by private land none of the National Forest is private land.

I was confused about the statement that “National Forests are mostly private land.” So that statement could have been replaced by "Many times the NF is (almost) surrounded by private land. Yes?

[quote=“48Willys, post:6, topic:931332, full:true”]
Yes, that happens here sometimes. These pockets of private land can cause some access issues.

If it is posted as private land it is not part of a National Forest, and as such it should not be trespassed upon. I can see why you posted about those pockets. You gave good advice concerning them.

However, even if the NF is almost surrounded by private land none of the National Forest is private land.

I was confused about the statement that “National Forests are mostly private land.” So that statement could have been replaced by "Many times the NF is (almost) surrounded by private land. Yes?
[/quote]When you think you are driving through a NF, some turnoffs or pulloffs may not be in public land. That puts it into a practical perspective that is relevant to the OP’s needs.

As mentioned, many Nation Forests have free dispersed camping.
I have used this site: https://freecampsites.net/

Brian

Thanks,…I found that too…and am using it on my trip.
I’m typing from Saris Lake near Oxford Mississippi.

Thanks, Sigene, how cool that you’re on the trip that we’ve been thinking about.

Hope you’re getting good enough sleep (and food!). Thanks for touching base.