Driving in the USA

I was talking with some teenagers the other day about their new licenses and driving experiences. It really suprised me how much they were not aware of. What the heck is driver’s ed teaching these days?

So I thought I’d start a thread on driving advice. If you want to just vent about bad drivers, start your own thread.

For those of you new to driving, and to those tourist who will visit us this year here are a couple of tips.
The most dangerous place to drive in America is the average parking lot. Usually on private property, there are no clear driving rules in these places, and people are at their most inattentive here. Large malls and strip malls are the worst.

When backing up, try to get in the habit of only backing as far as you need to, even if more room is available. This habit will one day save your ass and your vehicle’s. You are at your most vulnerable when backing, and if anything ever happens, the person who is in reverse is almost always at fault.

Feel free to add more as you see fit.

If you’re driving a truck with a trailer (tractor trailer, dump truck, pickup, it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference) you usually can’t turn around to check your blind spot. The only thing you’ve got is mirrors. If you can’t see a truck’s mirrors, the truck driver can’t see you.

To those tourist who will visit us this year here are a couple of tips.
The most dangerous place to drive in America is the average parking lot. Usually on private property, there are no clear driving rules in these places, and people are at their most inattentive here. Large malls and strip malls are the worst.

When backing up, try to get in the habit of only backing as far as you need to, even if more room is available.

Fake Ayesha (look at the post count)
DNFTT folks

For all of you drivers out there who want to learn how not to drive, may I make the following suggestion. Grab your pass port and head over to the United Arab Emirates I belive everybody here got their licence at blue light special from K-mart. The really surprising thing is that for all the stupid things they do, there are few accidents.

One of the more interesting driving laws here,that actually makes since, is that large trucks and cargo vans are prohibited from driving in any lane other that the right lane. Unles they are changing to the left lane to turn left. Otherwise, it is a large fine.

For the new drivers, if you already have a cell phone, DO NOT USE IT WHILE DRIVING. Heck, I’ve seen people who have been driving for a good couple of years and they still drive like crap whenever they are talking on their cell phones.

Oh don’t get me started…

Traffic circles:

Vehicles in the circle always have the right of way over vehicles entering the circle. This means you should never come to a stop while in, or exiting a traffic circle. Unless, of course, it is necessary to avoid a collision.

Traffic lights:

Red light = STOP
Green light = GO–but only after you’ve verified that no one is running the red

Intersection with STOP signs:

Presence of STOP sign = STOP
Absence of STOP sign = GO–once you’re assured that no one is running their STOP sign

Don’t block intersections.

If you can GO, GO.
If you can’t GO (as in being stuck in traffic), don’t block others who are trying to GO (as those trying to exit parking lots).

Look before you change lanes. It’s also helpful if you don’t brake when you’re changing lanes. It pisses off the person who’s already there.

Not that I use a cell phone while driving, but why not? I routinely talk on the radio while I’m flying. If you’re not capable of operating a vehicle and an electronic device at the same time, don’t do it. But if you can (really can), what’s the harm?

When entering a highway, please, increase to highway speed! Don’t continue doing the twenty miles per hour you were doing coming down the ramp. And for God’s sake, don’t drive to the very end of the acceleration lane and stop, looking for an opening. Why do you think we call it an acceleration lane?

Use Blinkers!!

That’s all I have to say.

Using the radio in an airplane when you are in airspace all by yourself is not the same as talking on the phone with cars whizzing around you at 60 mph or so barely feet away.

Jeez, 12 years later and I’m still pissed about this…

My parents never let me drive ANYPLACE. They paid beaucoup bucks to send me through a private driving school when I was 17 instead of the regular class in HS that everyone else took, but wouldn’t let me practice. They figured driving the baler around the hayfield would suffice.

The upshot? I got a license, went to boot camp and A-school, bought a car, and promptly got into 4 minor wrecks and countless near-wrecks in my first 3 years of ownership of said car (thank whatever for State Farm!!!).

My advice to parents? I don’t care if you’re going to the local grocery store for a gallon of milk - let your kid DRIVE THE DAMN CAR til s/he knows what the heck they’re doing.

The signs on the highway say it all…

SLOW TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT

Johnny, you live in a land of people that multitask when they drive. Where I live people can’t seem to do that. If they used those new hands-free phones I guess it would be better, but the ones I see have one hand on the wheel (I hope) and are intent on trying to hear their itty bitty cell phones over traffic. Whatever they are talking about seems to be way more important than paying attention to the 4 lanes of 70mph traffic around them. :rolleyes:

Following up on Mjollnir’s hot tips:

Uncontrolled Intersection:(No stop sign in any direction.)

Slow down when approaching and verify no other car is coming before proceeding through the intersection. If another car is coming the car on the right has the right of way. Also watch the rate of speed at which any cross traffic is traveling. Which translates into another rule.

Don’t assume what the other guy is going to do. Wait until he/she does it, then react appropriately.

Be prepared to see people do a lot of stupid things. These are not role models.

Some simple advice:

Stay the hell out of my way!!!
:smiley:

At a four way stop, traffic right of way goes clockwise, in an orderly fashion; it is NOT survival of the fastest!

driver’s ed??? Don’t have that in California anymore.