Drunken wine question

So let’s say I’ve had too much to drink tonight.

And let’s say I have an entire glass of wine at my elbow.

And let’s say I’ve decided it’s time to quit drinking for my own safety.

And let’s say I’m broke and cannot afford to waste wine.

If I take this full glass of wine and pour it back into the half-full bottle…am I damaging anything oenophile-like?

And, how long can I do this? If I pass out at 3 in the morning and wake at 10 in the morning, is that glass of wine still drinkable? Or would it be better to pass out at 2 and wake at 7?

[sub]Details: White wine - Rosemount Estate Traminer Riesling blend, 2000.

If you’re the only one drinking from said bottle…pour it back in and re-cork the bottle, then put it in the fridge…if not…use the glass as a marinade for anything tomorrow…sitting out will allow a lot of the alcohol to evaporate out of the wine. Most bottles of wine should be consumed no more than 3-4 days on the outside of opening unless you have a vacuum sealer.

Once you get to the point where you feel you shouldn’t drink anymore, a glass of wine is no big deal. Just drink it up…like in 10 minutes or so, and remember to cork the half bottle before you start the last glass…Lust in case you pass out before you get a chance to do that!:slight_smile:

If I were you I wouldnt go to sleep before drinking that one last glass!

If you’re planning on drinking the wine in the next day or so, then go ahead and pour the wine back into the bottle. You won’t be seriously damaging anything, but you may lose a little of the aroma from the extra aeration you’ve given the wine.

When you get the chance, invest the $15 on a vaccuum pump for wine bottles. They have special rubber corks that seal the bottle that go with the pump. I’ve had one for a while, and I can keep a bottle for up to two weeks after opening it. It’s a nifty gadget when all you want is a glass or two of wine, but want to hold a bottle for a while.

Hijack I just finished my webpage for the Greek God Dionysus (i.e. the good of wine and intoxication End Hijack In honor of the great Greek diety drink that stuff up!

Awww, ignore those wine snobs. Just this evening, I enjoyed a glass of wine from the gallon jug from under the sink that has been there for the last year or two and opened and screwed closed many times.

They still use corks?

You have to follow your body in these matters - you were obviously a little tipsy, so your body’s automatic help system took over and made you pour that glass.

It would be very stupid to ignore that help from your unconsious mind. This is the same automatic system that gets pregnant women to eat coal, or gerkins and ice cream. For all you know your alcohol level could be dangerously low or you may need precious minerals and vitimans that are only found in wine.

It would be plain wrong not to drink that glass. If you learn to ignore your body’s signals, who knows where it may end. Soon you could find yourself at the side of a cliff thinking “I know better than my body, I can jump the 50 feet to the other side”

So if you poured it back in the bottle, go home NOW and finish that glass.

I’ve done this. A little Saran Wrap over the glass does wonders.

Myron, you are my hero.

I’ve really taken a liking to Rosemount Estate wines, and being single, ma often faced with this dilemma. The thing with Rosemount, IIRC, is that they use synthetic corks. A bear to remove (I’ve broken 2 corkscrews), but a better seal than natural cork. Chique, m’dear, as you’ve no doubt long since taken action, I’ll say this for future reference: pour it back in the bottle, slap that rubber/plastic “cork” back in there and worry not, your wine will be fine for a few days.

I say it pour it back in the bottle, it should be fine to drink within a few days. But for a technical answer, I will ask our winemaster and/or enologist the next time one of them walks by my cube.

You aren’t doing anything evil, although this is a bit much concern for a traminer/riesling blend. Another good solution is to keep empty half-bottles around. These will work about as well as the nitrogen pumps, if you fill the 1/2 bottle to the neck.

With a traminer/riesling blend, it should be drinkable for 3~4 days, and good for cooking for a couple more.

Hmmmm, sounds like you should call the melon man, honey…he may have a better idea about what to do before you pass out? After all, Lust in case?

And FTR, I don’t drink wine. But I used to have a friend who really loved champagne, and since I don’t drink that either, and said friend didn’t drink the whole bottle, I bought one of those things that JavaMaven1 was talking about. They work like a charm! Even for champagne, which is a little more difficult about these sort of things than wine…

And Rach?

((((((Rachel))))).

I love you bunches.

Scotti

While the air-pump thingy is a good idea, I’m not so sure I was in any condition to actually use one last night, even if I HAD had one :stuck_out_tongue:

And those of you who suggested I finish the glass? I am SO glad you weren’t around last night - that would have been REALLY bad :eek:

The Mighty Tiki God: YAY!!!

bare: EWWWWWWWWW!!

thinksnow - chuck your regular cork screw and get one of those prong-type openers. It has thin metal things that fit between the cork and the neck; on the few occasions I couldn’t remove the cork completely a pair of pliers finishes the job.

Scotticher…honey, that’s EXACTLY what I needed right now. I love you bunches, too :slight_smile:

{{{{{{{{Cheri}}}}}}}}

[sub]So, Scotti - ya think I should take Watermelon Man up on that “lust” thing?

If you feel like it, honey, YEP!

Love you bunches more!

Coupla’ steps ahead of you. My mother bought me one of those for a (Christmas) stocking stuffer a few years ago. Works like a charm.

Well, you all may not believe this, but I have hear that the best way to keep opened wine fresh is to freeze it, and then defrost it in the microwave when you’re readyto drink it… Sounds rather suspect to me, however.