Dumb things in movies

When someone dials a number on a cell phone, and not two seconds later the phone’s connected, starts ringing, and the other person picks up.

Another thing that annoys me (and caused me to stop watching Suits TV show a few episodes into the first season) was how everyone just walked into rooms finishing other people’s lines or answering questions, as if they’d been listening to the whole conversation and walked in at the right moment. What a load of crap.

Also: how it takes one punch to take out a big guy.

Am I reading that correctly?

Any movie that features a team of people in a darkened room of whom a slightly sinister boss will demand a variation of …

“zoom in on that number plate”
“show me the flight records of that suspect over the last ten days”
“pull up the records of x and show me y organised by z”

And not only can they do it, they do it in about 10 seconds flat.
You might as well include a wizard or a talking fucking tree in the movie if you are going to be quite so fantastical about it.

I still watch them though. Entertaining bollocks is still entertaining.

Mind you I thought “tinker, tailor, soldier, spy” was all the better for a having a slower, more “analogue” and believable approach to such matters. George Smiley in a VR helmet would simply not work.

“Cover me!” How? You’ve got three guys shooting at you but telling your buddy with a pistol to cover you is going to make the bad guys not shoot at you while you dash across the parking lot. How does “cover me” work, exactly?

“Cut the red wire”. Come on, even though the bomb has the helpful digital countdown installed, what makes you think the bomber followed any kind of color coding convention?

Most likely. Some states/cities/counties require registration of all guns, some require registration of just handguns, but the majority of states do not. However since most movies seem to take place in New York, LA or Chicago, all cities that do require registration, it’s not that unrealistic.

The “knockout punch” thing in general.

We watched “Ex Machina” last night and a significant plot point is - I’ll make this vague - a person being punched and being absolutely unconscious for a period of time that has to be at least ten minutes long, maybe much longer. When that period of time ends the person gets back up with no visible ill effect.

If you are hit in the head hard enough to be completely unconscious for ten minutes, you’re not just getting back up later like you had a nap. You are really, really badly injured.

Any cops and bad guys movie where there’s a major incident going on that should attract dozens and dozens of police, and yet the hero cop is the only one around.

Worse yet, the hero cop chasing a bad guy, and the cop gets on the radio and tells the other cops to stay away, because “this one’s mine”. :eek:

Forgot to mention the routine where the cop dips his pinky fingernail into the white powder, touches it to his tongue…“Yep, cocaine!” Why wait for the crime lab to safely test the product with something more admissible in court than your tongue? Why no, just put whatever unknown substance it might me onto your tongue- what could possibly go wrong with that?

Dumb things in movies, hmm… Happy endings? Life’s not that simple, I’m telling ya.

Even that can be taken to dumb extremes. NCIS, with the team investigating a crime in Virginia, had problems withe the local District Attorney. Presumably one problem was that he didn’t exist: in Virginia, the local county prosecutor is the Commonwealth Attorney. They’ve done the same thing in Maryland – but there, it’s the State’s Attorney.

The most egregious example of this kind of thinking was the show “Detroit 187,” which ran for a single season on ABC about five years ago. It was a gritty police procedural about a Detroit homicide unit, “187” being the penal code code section for homicide.

In California.

A stable of L.A.-based writers didn’t even think about different states having different penal code numbering.

And for whatever it’s worth, in Michigan, there are no District Attorneys either: they are “County Prosecutors.”

Hitting the bad guy once and running away.

When it comes down to one-on-one close combat, apparently handguns are the slipperiest thing ever.

Magical bulletproof tables, couches, car doors, etc.

They lampshaded this in Terminator: the Sarah Conner Chronicles by making their couch lined with Kevlar.

Handling and using guns in manners completely at odds with their design. I think it was on “Justified” where some genius inserted a racking sound for a double-barreled shotgun. :smack:

Oh, and jumping horizontally while shooting two guns!

And they always say “repeat” instead of “I say again.” With all the military consultants in Hollywood one of them would point out the difference.

Ever notice there’s always a convenient place to park a car in a city?

And you think an audience will stand for a car hunting for a parking place like in real life, and using up valuable movie footage?

One that always bugs me is people answering the knock on the door within less than 2 seconds. Are they hovering around by the doorway just waiting to answer? Do they teleport from upstairs to the doorway at the sound of the knock? I mean come on, atleast have the actor wait 7-10 seconds. Believe me, I doubt if we the viewers are going to be impatiently tapping our foot waiting for the door to open.

People who die (or are knocked unconscious) merely because they were thrown into water from a pier.

I make my own movies at home from scratch.