Durability of new one-sided "no-flip" mattresses

Do the new one-sided “no-flip” mattresses hold up as well as traditional two-sided mattresses?

I ask this because the companies making these, including all of the major brands, insist this is a fantastic breakthrough in mattress design, and that the mattresses in question have been engineered to last just as long as traditional two-side mattresses.

In fact, all of the new Sealy Posturepedic mattresses coming out this fall are one-sided.

I daresay the new design means you can’t flip your mattress; the new mattress is, no doubt, as sturdy and durable as all of Sealy’s high-quality offerings, but that blurb is just another marketing type trying to spin straw into gold.

After all, what does flipping a mattress really add to its life?

Well, that’s the fundamental question. Have the manufacturers realized that most people never flip their mattresses, and that it is therefore foolish to sell mattresses with two sides, OR… are they simply screwing their customers by selling a mattress that can’t be flipped? It certainly costs them less to manufacture a one-sided mattress (about 30% I saw cited somewhere).

My wife and I purchased a Serta Perfect Sleeper that is a single sided pillow-top that can’t/isn’t supposed to be flipped. After about a year, it already it has a noticable inward slope to the center. Isn’t periodic flipping supposed to prevent this? We’ve never been happy with this mattress.

Hey, I flip my mattress. This might be why it’s in such good shape after all these years.

Consumer Reports says that flipping matters with mattresses that are worth buying. Unfortunately, it’s a pay site so a link would be worthless.

[nitpick] Couldn’t you have titled the thread “Are new one-side mattresses durable?”[/nitpick]

Yes, but are they talking about mattresses that are designed be flipped, or not?

I could have, but I preferred a descriptive subject line to the interrogative. Is that a big deal (or even a little one)? :dubious: