Dust cloud of doom

In my humble opinion
the dust cloud that followed the impact of the Cretaceous meteor could not have/didn’t block the sun for more then a couple of weeks or months at worst, my thoughts/proof
A reptiles need the sun to warm their body not just for movement but also to allow digestion
, so if a lizard eats a bug or a racoon then 1 hour later the meteor strikes dust blots out the sun the impact winter begins …lizards last meal rots in its belly lizard dies (within weeks)
B lizard finds a cool hole to sleep in, meteor strikes impact winter begins lizard starves to death. (too cold to move )
C a Crocadillaform lays its eggs covers them in rotting plant matter meteor strikes impact winter begins , eggs, if they survived, would all be born female then die do to cold
no reptile can survive more than a few months without food ( hibernating turtles exempt )
The same applies to the 7 robin-sized bird species that gave rise to all modern birds .after the firestorm how much fodder would be available how many insects would be available and how would the birds find them in the darkness of impact winter?
in my humble opinion, the meteor struck the fires began the dust cloud rose and swirled around and around possibly for years but not completely blotting out the suns loving rays more like a storm or several storms travelling about effecting locally only. torrents of rain would have cleansed the atmo of dust pretty quickly, many valleys in mountainous regions had to have been spared the worst + there are many plant species and planktons /corals that cant survive dramatic temperature fluctuation that still live today despite predating the event …in my humble opinion

I thought it was pretty grim going for a while, the smaller animals could find food, but not very large creatures like dinosaurs. That does beg the question of what whales found to eat.
What does the fossil record say about corals? Is there a fossil record of soft polyp corals?

The entire planet wouldn’t cool exactly the same. The equatorial regions are going to remain warmer than the poles, as an example, and there are geothermal areas that could act as a refuge. As you yourself noted, any hibernating species has a better chance to make it through the catastrophe. Finally, there was a LOT of carrion around, any species that could eat that (even if it’s not a first choice) also has a better chance to survive

Anything the can eat cockroaches, carrion beetles, or the like was going to be able to find food - that might be why small insectivores survived when the massive herbivore dinosaurs didn’t.

Keep in mind, too, that you don’t need total darkness to shut down photosynthesis in plants. The “daylight” could be dim, but sufficient for animals to move around and search for something to eat even if not sufficient for plants.

So you’re correct such a dust storm didn’t completely block out the sun’s rays, but it doesn’t have to do that to cause a lot of problems.

Whales didn’t exist yet. All the large, whale-sized marine dinosaur-cousins died out. So the answer is… they didn’t find enough to eat and they all died. Then later on some other animals occupied that ocean niche.

Thanks, Broomstick.

i believe all current coral reefs are less than 6 million years old however the colonizers had to come from some were

I used to live on a farm in Canadas north iv seen all kinds of carrion Moose, deer, bear, groundhog, big to small ( not as big as dino,s I know ) none last more then a month and if it did it would be septic and unpalatable even to insect grubs, I agree to a point that the blizzards of carrion flies and other insects would be a readily available food source for a few weeks maybe months ,however in the so-called dim darkness of the enveloping dust cloud how were said blizzards of flies caught by small diurnal birds and lizards ?. geothermal areas tend to be poisonous to some degree though warm, so not likely to be a refuge to small critters, larger animals can navigate the hot pools and belching carbonmonoxy sideand sulfur, even today thermal vents outside of the ocean have little permanent life bigger than bacteria, also plankton cant survive in dim light for long the descendants of yesterdays planktons found in fossil records are thriving in today’s sea,s as are the Triassic plants of Newzeland which also depend on intence light.

Just a suggestion: punctuation and paragraphs help the reader.

That said:

Please see my prior post where I point out that the dust cloud will not be uniform and the darkness will not be total.

See Yellowstone National Park - a thriving ecosystem with animals of all sizes in the area. Yes, there are occasional fatalities due to volcanic toxins. It doesn’t wipe out everything.

Once again, please note where I say the dust cloud will not be uniform and the darkness will not be total.

I will also note that New Zealand is pretty damn far away from Chixalub crater on/next to the Yucatan peninsula and might not have been as badly affected as, say, Central America.

im actually severely dyslexic so yes my spelling even with spell check can be a challenge to read, and as you say ( pretty damn far away from Chixalub crater on/next to the Yucatan peninsula and might not have been as badly affected as, say, Central America. ) that’s my point, it didn’t / couldn’t blot out the sun for years, Question is the k2 layer equal in depth were ever its found?

Do you mean is the kt boundary layer equally thick globally? No, it ranges from 1.5 to 5 cm thick.
If you are asking how far down the folks studying this had to dig, I don’t know. From the bits I’ve read, with a few specific exceptions, the sites where the kt boundary has been found are generally uncovered through erosion, and there is a great deal of variation between sites globally for depth below surface, thickness of various layers above and below the boundary etc.

Just a note that the “Tertiary” is an obsolete period, and we call this the Cretaceous–Paleogene (K–Pg) extinction. Although Tertiary is putting up quite a fight.

yes Mr DorkVader I meant kt and thx for the info, the variance1.5 / 5cm clearly shows the dust cloud wasnt equally dispersing, furthering/confirming my argument…PS I love this website / forum

Heh! I’m old, yall get yer paleograsseen thingambobber offen mah grass😄

The thickness of the boundary layer wouldn’t just be related to the amount of cloud cover, distance from the impact site and the depositional environment at a location both have an influence.

A uniform thickness would be an argument against a single impact event. Whereas modelling a single impact shows what we do see - generally thinning as you move away from the impact site.

lmfhaol