Dynabeads for tire balancing: can they possibly work?

I know people who think this way about airplanes and moon landings. snerk

Should be easy to test for someone with a balance testing machine and a spare tyre! The lack of such test results tends to make me suspicious though.

It’s a bit more complicated. There is still the matter of the moving flat spot where the tire contacts the road.

Only if your reference frame is the ground, which it wouldn’t be if you were looking at imbalances in the rotation.

It’s damping, not rotation; according to Innovative Balancing, the manufacturers of DynaBeads, the distribution due to rotation is uniform. Their argument is that as a tire is being driven on a road, the “heavy spot” causes asymmetric travel upward when it’s at the top – sort of a “jump”; since the beads are not fixed to the tire, their inertia (translational, not rotational) causes depopulation of the heavy region, and overpopulation of the opposite region. I assume that during the “heavy spot down” part of the cycle, they’d argue that contact with the ground prevents the same degree of travel, preventing the “making things worse” scenario. This effect will continue until the beads are distributed so as to cancel all vibration.

Or so they say.

Problem is that a balance testing machine won’t let the wheel wobble at all; as Nametag suggests, the beads need the wheel to make that little bit of eccentric movement in order to relieve their force on one side of the wheel. If the wheel isn’t allowed to hop because it’s rigidly affixed to a dynamic balancer with 1000 pounds of ballast, then they won’t be able to do their thing.

Wow!..alot of scientific minds out there want to know exactly how they work…LOL

How about trial and error?..keep trying til it works the way you want it to and if you can not explain it …SO WHAT?. :smack:

This has been around a long time since the big riggers were looking for a better way to balance those big tires. The media used has been many, but it has evolved into really good stuff today.

Well I for one am using them in three trucks. Two of my dual work trucks 225/70R19.5 and my personnel Excursion with 33x12.50x17 muds.

They work great…NO external weights. :smiley:

And you NEVER have to re-balance…that is big for me. I hate having to take time and MONEY every 5-7 thousand miles to re-balance.

For all that claim they are nonsense - :dubious: Do not make claims about a product unless you have tried it and it failed for YOU.

I would hazard to guess alot of the guys claiming the beads are a joke have NEVER tried them.

I did alot of research on the net and phone to make a choice. Did not want steel beads because of rust ( they all rust sooner or later), did not want glass beads (obviously because they break apart), did not want the powder/ sandy stuff as I have seen it in a muddy consistency when it came out of tires. The moisture in the tires turns it to a paste and it quits working.

The ONLY one I wanted to try was the white ceramic type beads. They do not rust or break apart and moisture will not affect them. A couple of places sell them but the best price I found was on Ebay. Search “Tire Balance Beads” on Ebay. They are white and if I remember correctly they were under $2 an ounce with free shipping.

Dont knock it til you try it.

Anyway… MTCW