E-mail and alcohol don't mix.

So as some of you may know, a couple of weeks ago I finally managed to land a job in an area that will allow me to shack up with my husband.

As it turns out, this is a good thing, since my current employment may be terminated today.

This morning my boss gave me the applications he’d received to fill my position. Some of them came via email, with resume and writing sample (a requirement for the app) attached. For those, my boss only gave me the attachments (which he’d printed out), but not the actual e-mail messages, which I was assuming would serve as cover letters.

So I asked him for the “cover letters” for the applicants who’d sent their stuff via email. I’d already ranked the applicants (using A, B, C, and D rankings) based on their resumes and writing samples, and given the apps back to my boss, but still wanted to see the cover letters for the e-mail applicants.

My boss forwarded said cover letters to me via email, and I was disappointed to learn that one of the people I’d put on my “A-list” as a prime candidate for the job had not even written a cover letter to speak of–he’d just written something to the effect of, “Here’s my stuff.” Not enough of a gaffe, in my opinion, to warrant booting him from consideration, but I’m big on cover letters (because it’s the applicant’s chance to make the sales pitch, as it were), and was chagrined that this guy hadn’t taken the time to write one.

So I emailed my boss a snarky (but JOKING) response that said, "That’s IT??!??!!? Take him off the A-list!"

. . . or so I thought.

What I ACTUALLY did was send that snarky little message to THE APPLICANT via e-mail!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::smack::smack::smack::smack:

And of course, he called to find out what that meant.

I’m horrible on the spot, so basically I just told him the truth: that it had been meant for my boss. And of course I apologized profusely and assured him that it hadn’t been meant seriously (we’re big smartasses around here), but I am burning with shame and embarrassment right now.

P.S. And no, there really wasn’t any alcohol involved in this little story . . . .

But I’m beginning to wish that there were.

Trust me! If alcohol had been involved, it would have been worse! I speak from experience. It’s a miracle I’m still allowed to post here… Don’t sweat it tho. Mr. A might like your spunk (and your honesty!) And if he doesn’t… F him! There’s always B, C, & D.

Hugs auntie em, you can always be thankful if he gets the job that you don’t ever have to face him. :wink:
Congrats on landing a job that allows you to share a marital bed!

Well, misstee, before he lands the job, he’ll have to come in for an interview . . .

. . . I think I feel a profound illness coming on . . .

And if6was9, you’re probably right about the alcohol, but couldn’t I have some now???

Over the years, I have discovered that, as with all things, one gets better at e-mailing whilst drunk with practice.

Seriously. :smiley:

I’ll drink to that! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

While you are drinking to that, I will have one, too.

I just had a disastrous instant message session.
Better make mine a double.

You know my e-mail, darlin. Care to talk about it? :slight_smile:

Well, I bet he never forgets to include a cover letter again! So maybe you have done him a favor. Tell him that!

Let’s just hope he doesn’t get drunk and send an email telling you what he REALLY thinks about the damn cover letter. :slight_smile:

Oy vey.

My cheeks are flushing sympathetically.