Ear candling does not remove ear wax

There are too much misconception about ear candles. I love ear candles they are gently and soothing.

Ear Candles are a natural and holistic modality that has been used from generation to generation. They are safe and relaxing. Why would the FDA want to eliminate something that is so easy to use with no side effects when used properly?

· Ear candles do NOT remove wax from the body

· Ear candles are NOT a medical device

Ear Candles are a natural, holistic modality that has been passed down from generation to generation. This relaxing modality helps the body to heal itself of ear aches, sinus congestion, migraines and more. As the body relaxes it reaches homeostasis. Alternative modalities simply allow the body to do what the human body normally does, and that is to find balance in wellness, especially with the integration of mind-body-spirit. This, in essence, is what homeostasis is.

ETA: Link to Column

Nobody older than five should need to be told this, but holding an open flame to your ear is a stupid thing to do. Do we need to explain this any further?

If it was that easy to use, people wouldn’t be damaging their ears with it, and there’s no such thing as “no side effects” unless you are admitting ear candling does nothing at all. Anyway the FDA does rightly put out warnings about the dangers of this practice and responds when the manufacturers act irresponsibly.

I agree. But most people who try to sell ear candles say otherwise. Generally, that’s called lying.

Whatever. You could say the same about a lot of other useless or potentially harmful practices.

Uh oh… you’re starting to make medical claims here. Guess what the FDA’s job is.

Isn’t ear candling really just an overly complicated and potentially dangerous way to remove excess ear wax? What’s wrong with just washing out your ear canal with lukewarm water?

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Boards, iluvearcandles, we’re glad to have you with us.

When you start a thread, it’s helpful to other readers if you provide a link to the column under discussion. It may be on the front page now, but in a few days it will sink into the depths. So, it saves searching time (and helps keep everyone on the same page) to provide a link. I’ve edited it into your post. No biggie, you’ll know for next time, and, as I say, welcome.

Lots of beliefs are passed down from generation to generation. Some of them are accurate, some are not. This is not any form of validation of the idea.

Please provide a cite from a reputable source for this assertation, I for one will be happy to read it.

Just to be clear, are you talking about the placebo effect?

Maybe so, but I’ll stick with leeching just the same.

It would be, if they did that, but they don’t.

Which can EASILY be proved by lighting one and letting it burn down and then looking at all the accumulated wax and then comparing it to one you actually held in your ear. Same amount of wax in both.

Molten candle wax in your inner ear IS a great way to combat hearing, however.

Who needs all that pesky hearing anyways, huh?

I protest the google ads in this thread. They are for ear candling.

iluvearcandles, are you a dealer, manufacturer, doctor or just a fan?

With a user name like that and posts like yours, one wonders how often you use them.

May I direct you to my very first post on the SDMB:

Actually, the OP is correct: When used properly, ear candles have no side effects whatsoever. This is because the proper use for ear candles is to leave them on the shelf at the woo-woo store and walk right past them. When used in this way, they are completely harmless.

Wait, this involves sticking a candle in your ear and lighting it? And I thought lighting your farts on fire was dangerous.

Maybe people could have people fart in their ears, and light it.

Deafness is a natural and holistic modality that has been known for generations, I hear.

From “generation to generation”, you say.

So when was this technique/modality invented?

In wRussia, of course.

If the OP were a parody it could not be done any better.

The odds of the OP actually responding to the comments made here are slight (this sounds like a promotion for the Natural Solutions Foundation and the stuff they’re selling via that site).

Ear candling is, as quackery goes, relatively harmless (unless you drip hot wax on yourself and/or set fire to things), but it’s high on the nonsense scale.

As to the Natural Solutions Foundation (which is sponsoring the petition to the FDA), it is run by two people, one of whom is retired General Albert Stubblebine (the other is his wife, a psychiatrist).
Fans of the book The Men Who Stare At Goats may recall Gen. Stubblebine as the U.S. Army loon who was involved with the First Earth Battalion (an outfit which attempted to use supernatural forces in defense of our beloved land).

*"A proponent of psychic warfare, Stubblebine was involved in a US military project to create “a breed of ‘super soldier’” who would “have the ability to become invisible at will and to walk through walls”. He encouraged visitors to his office to walk through walls and has said that the ability to do so is a great idea, but that it would also be a disappointment, similar to levitation. He features prominently in Jon Ronson’s book The Men Who Stare at Goats, where he is described as firmly believing that he himself can walk through walls.

Stubblebine and his wife, psychiatrist Rima E. Laibow, M.D., founded the Natural Solutions Foundation (NSF), “a non-profit corporation devoted to protecting and promoting health freedom”.*

So, supporting ear candling, nutty as that is, is actually one of the saner things Stubblebine has done in his life. :stuck_out_tongue:

Any time you hear alt med enthusiasts going on about “health freedom”, realize that this phrase actually means “the freedom to sell you untried, untested and quack supplements and treatments without any sort of regulation whatsoever”.