Earliest TV series about aliens fitting in badly?

Sorry about that. It’s like an earworm.

That may be how it started, but by the second season, wacky alien hijinks ensued. Courtesy of Wikipedia, here are some plot summaries.

• Martin has mixed feelings about his latest chance to get home – which leads him to split into three.
  • Martin and Tim frantically attempt to eliminate an accidental duplicate of Mrs. Brown – during its dinner date with Det. Brennan.
  • Mrs. Brown’s violin-playing is causing the Martian to become transparent.
  • Martin’s health monitor is mistaken for a quarter and deposited into a drink machine at police headquarters – where it loudly proclaims that it is a Martian in distress.
  • Martin accidentally swaps his psyche with Mrs. Brown. To avoid exposing himself, he is then forced to go out a date with the recently-promoted Lieutenant Brennan.
  • Martin develops a short-circuit which causes him to start transmitting to everything he sees and hears onto television. This leads him to unintentionally exposing a well-known actor’s secret.

Samantha Stevens did a better job of hiding her powers.

The first episode is on YouTube. Directed by Richard Donner! Catchy theme song. The show is awful.

Yes. I have a deep and abiding love of awful TV and movies. It’s why I watch MST3K.

Not sure if this counts by the OP’s definition but it does predate My Favorite Martian.

Johnny Jupiter premiered in 1953. The premise was that Johnny was from Jupiter and he didn’t understand Earth customs.

But Johnny Jupiter wasn’t here on Earth. He lived on Jupiter. He communicated with Earth via an interplanetary television.