Early 1960s vogue for spooky stuff

This prompts me to add that I do realize that Batman wasn’t supposed to be spooky or even serious. I was just thinking of the fact that it was anything at all to do with bats, and that the story of the origin of Batman was that he decided to assume a form that would frighten the crooks. Of course there was none of this in the TV show, but the old comics had a bit more of a noirish affect.

That reminds me of a boardgame we had, it was called “Green Ghost”. Boardgame geek says it’s from 1965.

OK, I’ll bite.

What 1940-or-so gay rights protesters (I’m not aware of any; generally the start of the homophile movement is pegged to the mid-50s) and how do they relate to the 1960s monster craze?

I had that! May still have it! I was trying to recall what it was called when I read the OP.

I also had a game with a big glow-in-the-dark Eye-ball in the center of a plastic circle in which one would place little Tarot cards- I think it was called Cabala, I never quite got the point of the game tho.

Since Famous Monsters mag has been brought up several times, let us recognize James Warren, the publisher of that and also- CREEPY, EERIE, VAMPIRELLA and near his company’s demise the scifi-horror 1984, briefly retitled 1994.

Mid-50’s? I always though the modern gay rights movement was supposed to have been sparked by the Stonewall riots in the late '60’s. Care to enlighten me?

From The Reader’s Companion to American History (1991):

Crumbs. I should have said 50s, not 40s. My point however was that just as how most gay rights histories start with stonewall, a history of spooky stuff in pop culture should mention something earlier, like Spook Shows.

You should learn to preview.
:smiley:

The Outer Limits premiered in 1963 and although the* Twilight Zone * had premiered in 1959, it won its Emmys in '61, '62 and Golden Globe in 1962. I think these fit into your time frame and deserve to be pointed out as part of this discussiont.

The impetus for this might have been the re-release of the Universal Monsters on TV.

Ed Roth’s “Rat Fink” , and monster/dragster art fusion helped bring that along: