April 22 is a good time to celebrate any progress we make on cleaning up and preserving the environment.
In 1970 the young environmental movement was largely supported by both parties and we got wonderful legislation in place like the Clean Water and Clean Air Acts of 1970. The Endangered Species Act was another early success.
The Paris Climate Agreement was signed on Earth Day in 2016 by the UN members.
The 50th anniversary got eclipsed by pandemic of course and I don’t see signs of anything major happen today for the 51st but there is good news from many nations at least.
- USA President Biden announced a goal to cut emissions by 50-52% by 2030. He reminds us these efforts will also put Americans to work.
- China’s President Xi Jinping is promising to be carbon neutral by 2060.
- It appears Japan is going to commit to a 46% cut in emissions by 2030. This is in place of a 26% goal.
- Biden has since taking office already reinstated US membership in the Paris climate accord.
- He also paused the oil & gas drilling leases on Federal land
Throughout the day we should be hearing for the leaders of 40 nations and I believe the Pope on these issues.
Biden’s hosting a virtual summit and has resolved to halve carbon emissions by 2030
Things I’m doing?
Well I’ve committed to getting my old house (1963) properly insulated in the attic from maybe an R6 value to R47 and replace the water heater (nearing end of life) with a very high efficiency, low emission one. Bonus, $2000 rebate program and free financing over the next 7 years for the entire project. Should take about that long for it to pay for itself by my rough calcs.
So the insulation will eventually pay for itself and it will help for the life of the house, long after we moved on to whatever is next.
I’ve been an active member of the Environmental Movement since 1989 and a non-active member of Green Peace & the Sierra Club in the 80s.
- I recycle as much as possible
- Had solar panels on my last house (with excellent southern exposure).
- Drove a Prius for 7 years and handed it off to my daughter who is using it now.
- I work hard to reuse and repair.
- Buy high efficiency appliances when it is time for new ones.
- LED lighting of course and before that fluorescent.
- Compost yard waste. etc.
- I’m active in an local environmental group
- I’ve volunteered for the towns Green Team and Environmental committee.
I’m going to the nursery after work. I hope to get some tomatoes and maybe a citrus tree.
I’m going to try really hard not to kill them.