Earthquake in Illinois.

Story here.

Surprised nobody’s posted about this yet. Everyone okay? First person experiences anyone?

I’m near northern Illinois (just over the eastern border) but didn’t notice anything. Actually, I was asleep. More importantly, the family flock of parrots didn’t wake up, either - last time we had an earthquake there was a whole lot of birdie screamin’ goin’ on.

So… the shakes didn’t reach as far as the Indiana border, even if some of Wisconsin felt it

Woke us up out of a sound sleep; we’re about 10 miles from the epicenter which was near Pingree Grove (which is not near anything, in my opinion :wink: ).
It was only a 3.8 so I doubt there was any damage beyond a cracked foundation or two right near the epicenter.
Only about 5 secs of house rumbling for us. I thought it might be a shockwave from an industrial explosion.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2010snay.php

I felt it. I’d just woken up to the use the restroom and had gotten back into bed. I was about half asleep when the whole apartment building shook for maybe 1-2 seconds or so. My cats were on the bed and tore out of the room. After the major shaking, it felt like there was a very light vibration for a few seconds but I couldn’t tell completely. My first thought was that it was an earthquake but I’d never actually felt one before so I thought it might be possible that something had happened in my building that would cause it to shake. I went back to sleep pretty quickly and then remembered when they mentioned it on the morning news.

Oh, they downgraded it. The early morning report around 5 am was suggesting a 4.3.

We’re about 30-some miles from the epicenter and it woke us from a sound sleep. The house shook such that we thought maybe a gas main exploded somewhere, or possibly a snowplow hit our house. My husband even went to look in the basement to make sure nothing dramatic was going on, and since we saw nothing outside and heard no sirens, we went back to bed. I got up first and turned on the news, saw the reports.

My husband studied geology in college, so he was pleased we had a decent-sized one to let off some pressure from the area fault.

I was just getting up and sitting on the edge of the bed when it hit. Just in time to watch my two brave Commando Cats go tearing away in fright.

I thought it was a nearby explosion til I heard the details on the news. We’re about 20 miles from the epicenter, so it was a good, solid shaking.

The statement “The Illinois earthquake was only the second earthquake Il has felt in over 30 years” is incorrect. Off the top of my head, there was one just a couple years ago (which I slept through) and another one about 20 years ago. I missed today’s earthquake, but I am instead in the middle of another disaster, the blizzard around Washington.

Yeah, that is wrong. I also remember the two-years-ago one (slept through it as well, though some people in the state did feel it), and my husband remembers the one from 20ish years ago.

I woke up, thought “earthquake” and immediately fell back asleep. I didn’t remember it until I saw this thread. The one in… 2008 (?) woke me up too.

I happened to be walking up the stairs at the time. I heard a big boom, (which had about the same frequency as a big snow plow suddenly slamming down its blade), and there was a definite rattling of the house. It was mildly alarming, and my head glanced up, somewhat worried about the movement of the house, but it was over right away. I thought it might be an earthquake or possibly a nearby plane crash. I looked out several windows, but did not see any fireballs, so concluded we probably had a small earthquake.

I like how Chicago forgets about the rest of the state – I grew up in Southern Illinois and the 20-ish years ago one, there were actually two, the bigger one was something like 4.5 to 5 (it cracked my school building) and there was another within a year or two of that one that was around 4.0. I was in school during one, and at home during the other. And a couple of years ago I felt that one in St. Louis, so yes I’m sure plenty of places in IL felt that one too. Actually I can remember feeling two in St. Louis around the same time a couple of years ago – one was in the middle of the night, fairly strong, woke me up and rattled all the glasses in my cabinets; the other happened while I was at work and I actually felt it inside the building. So that’s 4 off the top of my head that I’m sure were felt in IL also (and I’m pretty sure I heard about one at the southern tip of the state just a couple of months ago).

I’m not far from the epicenter. Of course, it was 4 AM, so I was asleep. And, no, it didn’t wake me up; I’ve always been a sound sleeper.

Dangit; I want an earthquake when I’m awake

I thought I heard a local (SF Bay Area) morning news person say it was 2 point something, which is pretty much nothing at all. 3.8 or 4.0 is at least respectable. What I don’t hear is how long it lasted; that makes a big difference.

The USGS site doesn’t have the duration, from what I can tell. The Chicago Tribune article (which does mention previous quakes) has some ‘eyewitness’ estimates around 5 seconds.

When we had the last earthquake a couple years ago I recall there was a website (from the US geological people?) requesting that folks answer a few questions in the interest of earthquake science. I remember filling it out, pretty simple stuff, and it provides more information to scientists. If I can find/remember the website I’ll post it, but if someone else finds it first feel free to beat me to it.

Is this just a difference in construction style or quality? In the 20+ years I lived in the San Francisco Bay area, we had quite a few earthquakes in the 3.5 to 4.0 range. Most of them, I didn’t even notice. I lived for almost a decade just a few hundred yards from the Hayward fault. I never had stuff falling off of shelves until the magnitudes got up above 6.0.

Yet a 3.9 quake is seen as a big deal in Illinois, and stuff apparently fell off of shelves.

So, is it the way houses are built, or just the novelty of it all in non-earthquake-prone areas?

Well, that makes 4 earthquakes I’ve slept through and one earthquake in California that I was awake for, but didn’t notice at all.

Of course, I’m ok with never experiencing one as long as that means never experiencing a BIG one.

No damage at over 30 miles from the epicenter, but our house was built around a hundred years ago as a simple farmhouse, and we felt the shockwave. I don’t know for sure, but suspect that few homes outside of relatively active earthquake-prone regions have any kind of real earthquake “proofing” in them.

IANACarpenter, but I think it’s both. In places where earthquakes are rare, they don’t have all the codes regulating how buildings should be constructed to withstand them. So buildings in the midwest, while built to withstand temperature extremes, storms, and tornadoes, aren’t built to withstand earthquakes - it’s not worth putting those levels of protections in for something that rarely happens. Also, because we don’t get them, we definitely don’t expect them. Snowstorms, yeah - we didn’t even make the news with the weather we recently got. Earthquake? You bet that’s going to lead around here.

I’ve experienced a couple of low-4 earthquakes. One of them (as a child) I didn’t even notice, and thought everyone was playing a cruel joke on me talking about an earthquake. The other one (about 2-4 years ago) I definitely felt (it was kind of nice; felt like I had a massaging chair), but I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t have woken me up. Cleveland (where the first one was) is about as earthquake-proofed as Chicago (that is to say, not at all), and I doubt Bozeman has too much protection in place, either (the geological event that’ll do us in will be Yellowstone erupting, and there’s nothing you can do to protect against that anyway).