Easily repairable mailbox ideas

I guess is says alot about me:rolleyes:, but I’d be pouring concrete bunker around my mail box:D

Exactly. There have been folks around here (SE Ohio) who were required to remove their over the top attempts at constructing indestructible mailboxes.

If your home box is destroyed that often, perhaps a PO box may be a viable alternative.

Here in Roswell GA They’re enforcing “Code 18.2.1, Section D” to tell people they cannot have brick mailboxes in their yard; even though many people believe that the code was written for mailboxes that extend out into the road. It’s a knee-jerk reaction to a guy in 2016 who flew off the road, crashed through a brick mailbox, and then hit the one on the next house over. He was killed, and his 20+ year old daughter was ejected and also died. Unfortunately in the couple of years that have passed, the new articles aren’t saying how fast he was going. At the time it happened, as I recall, he was going WAY over the speed limit.

Related Articles

Say it with me: “decorative boulder”.

A couple thousand pounds of rock ain’t going nowhere. You can either put the decorative boulder in front of your regular mailbox, or if you can find one the right size and shape, bolt your mailbox to the top of it. I’ve even found pictures where people have cut holes into their boulders to mount their mailboxes inside.

Downside: you’re gonna need a special install, a dude with a crane, to get it in place.

It’s a fair point.

OP, what’s likely to be cheaper and less frustrating? A PO box or your current situation?

I’ve thought of using two posts, drilling holes running the same way as the posts and using a dowel to connect them. The dowel breaks, the post falls, and you pull the pieces of dowel out and replace them.

Forget the mailbox. How about the house?
:eek:
https://goo.gl/images/1VFqe1

Weld the post to a large steel truck rim. The snowplows will take ours out a couple times a winter and we can just drag it back into place.

If they made the law against fortified mailboxes because they hurt people (who can’t drive/follow laws), I find that to be inconsistent . (Trees, poles, bridge supports are also hard impacts)

Ever since I was a kid I wondered why we put opposing traffic so close, and we line the road with sidewalks and trees and power poles.

So, error left is a head on accident, error right is taking out a sidewalk full of people.:smack::smack:

Kinda like having a firing range thru the middle of a crowded store.:eek::smiley:

It looks as though the car came out the worse for wear and tear.

I used one of these for the first couple years in my house. There was no mail box at the house when I moved in, and after a few years the snow plows stopped knocking it down and I put a real post in the ground.

Bridge supports, highway poles, and other things are sometimes required to installimpact attenuators.

I love the swinging mailbox idea, but that looks like a pricey pole.

If you’re looking for a cheap break-away, would a traffic sign unistrut work? They say break-away, but often the square strut bends over. Either way, you then unbolt the bent or broken strut from the sleeve and bolt on a new one. You could also attach a sleeve to the mailbox, so that it’s replaceable at both ends.

In the few months since I moved to the Atlanta area (howdy, neighbor!) I’ve observed an awful lot of brick mailboxes, especially in the more affluent communities like Sandy Springs. Your cite for the law doesn’t indicate whether existing ones were grandfathered in. If not, and if I understand the intent of the law, there are a whole lot of illegal mailboxes out there.

Where my parents live, the primary dangers to the mailboxes are the snowplows and the kids playing mailbox baseball (i.e., vandalism). So a few houses have a sheet of plywood leaning against their mailbox. Sometimes, they have plywood leaning against the mailbox on both sides, sort of putting it in a tent. I suppose it works to protect the mailbox but it looks really horrible, particularly when the house number is roughly spray-painted on the plywood sheet.

I’d show you a picture if I could find one online.

Thanks, everyone. I basically moved the post back a bit and went with a swing-arm type approach.

I have a question about hanging the mailbox from a chain. Would not that make it more difficult to use from a truck due to it being able to swing? Will the postoffice accept them universally? Are they a pain for the letter carrier? OK 3 questions.

Yes
I don’t know
Probably

I know its too lat but I’d set my mail box on a bollard, they are designed to take impacts from cars and can look quite decorative.

Parking in front of a liquor store.

Wile E. Coyote needs to consider this question. Rube Goldberg and Heath Robinson can be his consultants on the project.

My first thought is a mailbox held by a pulley system that then retracts into the house’s attic and deposits the mail on the kitchen table. :slight_smile: