Easy question - what was Kasich referring to when mentioning Reagan?

Hello. What was Kasich referring to when he mentioned to Reagan several times during the March 3rd Republican debate?

"And you know, we hear about Ronald Reagan rebuilding the military. I was there when Ronald Reagan rebuilt the military. I worked with him. I was there when Ronald Reagan rebuilt the economy. I was there, and I worked with him. I knew Ronald Reagan.

And I’ll leave it right there with what comes after that. You can figure that one out."

Specifically, the last two sentences. What did he mean?

My first guess is the next line is “and you are no Ronald Reagan”. Not sure who he was talking to.

Yep. Per the famous Lloyd Benson line to Dan Quayle, who tried to liken himself to JFK.

All of them?

Hi CarnalK, you’re right, I should have given more context.

A moderator asked Trump on who he would consult for issues regarding national security. Trump lists a few people.

Kasich, unprompted, says this:

"Bret, it’s very interesting to note, I think it’s for the good of the record here that they took a survey of foreign policy magazines, 700 foreign policy experts, who would be the best person to conduct foreign policy of all the candidates in the race?

I received 55 percent of the vote. Jeb Bush received 30 percent of the vote. And everybody else, none of them made double digits. And that’s because you have to have the experience.

And you know, we hear about Ronald Reagan rebuilding the military. I was there when Ronald Reagan rebuilt the military. I worked with him. I was there when Ronald Reagan rebuilt the economy. I was there, and I worked with him. I knew Ronald Reagan.

And I’ll leave it right there with what comes after that. You can figure that one out."

It’s also important to note that I have a very shallow understanding of, and am completely out of my element when discussing, “politics”. I’ve recently (~4 months) started following the presidential race and learning more about the election process. I was born during the tail end of Reagan’s term and have no recollection of his impact. All I know is that Republicans generally hold him in high regard.

Much thanks for anyone who can help me understand!

Basically, the bit John and I are referring to is considered one of the most awesome debate takedowns ever. Now it’s almost a cliche.