Eating Kangaroo

In Soviet Russia, kangaroo eats you.

Yeah, we eat roo almost every week, you can get it at the local Coles. As hawthorne says it has to be fairly thin, and a quick sear on both sides and you’re done. As it is so completely lean and fat free you do need some sort of sauce. We usually stir-fry it in a wok with some vaguely oriental sauce and it is simply delicious.

If your kangaroo is dry, it’s cooked wrong. If your kangaroo is flavourless, it’s cooked wrong. If your kangaroo “needs” sauce it’s cooked wrong (which is not to say that you shouldn’t eat kangaroo meat with sauce, but if your kangaroo needs to be sopped in something to be edible - it’s cooked wrong).

Kangaroo is good meat, if you know what you’re doing with it. The problem is too many people don’t know what they’re doing with it and it suffers for their lack of knowledge.

It used to be that way in Australia too – meet the killer 'roo.

Bushies in Australia are seldom seen other than in RM Williams boots. Which come in kangaroo leather, amongst other things.

I’ve eaten kangaroo,
and krokodile too,
tasted like frog,
brought up on grog,
and now its the hide of my shoe!

Not just bushies. Cool city chicks wear them too, along with their Levi 501’s and various other acoutrements.

Why, yes, I am a cool city chick, thanks for asking. :smiley:

I’ve never eaten 'roo though, however this thread has inspired me to try it out this weekend.

:slight_smile:

Yes, you are correct. There is a lot of variety in the flavour, although I’ve never encountered bland. I suppose the variability is typical of game animals. Plus there are different species of kangaroo.

Also the different cuts of kangaroo vary a lot in flavour. Avoid the tail and go for the fillet.

You need an Akubra hat, too. All the cool people have Akubras now. :wink:

When I lived in Oz I enjoyed a bit of roo. As others have said, cooking it properly is the key.

Of course, it’s great to eat when you’re feeling down. It puts a bounce back in your step.

:smiley:

And indeed some lawyers.