eBay kicked back my lawn darts (Jarts) listing. Is it actually illegal to sell these?

Well, the thing about lawn darts is that they’re like a six-pound sledgehammer sharpened to a point, but really only dangerous if you overshoot the target and hit someone.

Yes, they’re weapons of miss destruction.
This does remind me, though, of one of my favourite lines from the movie Drop Dead Gorgeous.

I’s a sharp, weighted toy designed and intended to be thrown up in the air. If a company markets a curling iron designed and intended to be stuck up the ass I would not be opposed to a ban.

Incidentally, I also supported the bans on Mainway’s Invisible Pedestrian, Johnny Switchblade, and Bag O’ Broken Glass children’s toys.

Just watch out for those foam rubber balls and toy telephones. Those things’ll kill you in a heartbeat.

[Mod hat on]

PaulFitzroy. This is GQ, but perhaps you forgot. Don’t forget again.

Rants belong in the BBQ PIt or open up a debate. But don’t do it here.

[Mod hat off]

samclem GQ Moderator

Actually, it’s very common for eBay to ban listings of items which have been deemed “unsafe”.

Not very long ago, I listed an antique Lane cedar chest. The lock on the chest was broken and it could NOT be locked, a fact I noted in my listing. Nevertheless, eBay cancelled it because all Lane cedar chests are subject to a recall - apparently, their old-style lock automatically latches when the lid is closed and people have suffocated in them. I would only be allowed to re-list the chest if I replaced the lock and included a copy of the replacement documentation in my listing.

I apologize. I thought I was in Great Debates here. Sorry!

Ok, The high arch trajectory would worry me. I still don’t see how they should be BANNEd though. Guns are 10 times more dangerous, last I checked not everyone that handles them knows proper gun safety. And although you can’t shoot things in your backyard, you could go to a shooting range to shoot.

Hmmmm Maybe a Jarts range? :slight_smile:

Good luck insuring THAT one. <Rant deleted>

“They are dangerous because the whole idea is that you’re meant to throw them quite a long distance on a high trajectory, leaving ample time for some hapless bystander to position himself in the path; because they come more or less straight down, most injuries are going to be head injuries and serious ones at that.”
sounds like horseshoes or quaits(sp) to me, my brother got zonked on the head some years ago by a horseshoe, he couldn’t be the only one; plenty of listings on ebay though. have to admit though lawndarts seem a bit more dangerous

My first thought:

“Oh, damn, I loved playing Jarts as a kid!” (yes, I really did!)

My second thought:

“I can buy a high-powered rifle designed and built to kill things but I can’t by Jarts anymore?” :confused: :confused: :confused: Now, does that make sense…?

You can buy Jarts on eBay if you’re quick enough. You have to find a listing, then contact the seller before the listing gets banned.

But the seller runs a couple of risks. First, he is in violation of the law. Second, it anyone is injured by the Jarts he sold, then he could be open to a lawsuit.

Say, I’m going to a party next week. Maybe I should bring my Jarts? :smiley:

I loooved playing lawn darts when I was a kid. Luckily, I was always on the throwing team. The problems I have seen/heard about all seem to have involved the catching team. :slight_smile:

Broomstick,

It makes perfect sense, once you understand the political power of an obsessed grieving parent.

You put on a few tearful press conferences, particularly about 4 months before an election and it’s trivial to get a rider hung on a bill and slipped through Congress.

What politician about to face the voters wouldn’t want to be part of something to “prevent tragic accidents & needless injuries to our most precious possessions, our children”, ideally with the TV ad voiceover done by a darling 7-year old with a lisp?

It is to vomit, but it is the way our world works.