Who has Jarts?

This thread got me wondering, who has Jarts?

Jarts, or “lawn darts” is a game similar to horseshoes or darts. Each player has three large darts made of a plastic shaft and fins and a heavy pointed metal tip. The object is to throw them at a circular target on the grass to see who gets closest. After three children were killed in Jarts accidents, the toys were banned from sale and the government recommended that owners destroy them.

I played the game when I was a kid. I have a nice set, new in the box. Obviously they’re not for sale. Who else has Jarts?

I was injured by Jarts in the 70’s. Parents were part of one of the numerous lawsuits.

And yes, they still have them. I won’t go near them. Gives me the heebie jeebies.

We had them, but they’ve long since been lost. My Aunt and Uncle had a set and I remember playing them in the late 70s.

They were dangerous, but no more so than, say, an archery set.

Had them as a kid, they automagically disappeared the summer after seventh grade. My brother and I were forced to use real darts instead. :eek:

This is very true. One other obvious example is horse shoes. I believe the difference was that both archery and horse shoes were both recognized as either for adults or needing adult supervision. For some reason Jarts came out as something for kids to play with after the parents instructed them to be careful. As a result, archery and horse shoes have retained their places and Jarts has been placed in the too dangerous to handle category.

I’ve got Jarts. … * :smiley: * for now. :wink:

I have a set, stashed in the shed somewhere.

Durned if I could see how you could get hurt with the things, short of malice on the part of the thrower, or sheer idiocy on the part of the target.

My parents had a set, and we used to occasionally play them when we went on camping trips. This would’ve been probably in the early to mid 1990s. No idea they were banned, they didn’t seem all that more dangerous than other things (as long as proper safety precautions were done, which they were).

Vis