Edgar Wright out as Ant-Man director

Am I the only one whose first exposure to Ant Man was that early Saturday Night Live sketch with a bunch of superheroes at a party at Superman’s place?

Garrett Morris’s portrayal will be hard to top.

It wouldn’t surprise me if that were exactly what happened. Wright and Cornish are close friends and Cornish wrote the screenplay Wright wanted to direct. If the rewrites so watered down Cornish’s script it was in essence a different movie, why would he want to direct it? If this is what happened, it’s perfectly logical for Wright to exit. He’d be showing support for Joe as well.

Cornish and Wright have been developing this script for years, so I can understand why they wanted out if Marvel wanted to rewrite it. Leaving it until this late stage seems like a bizarre decision by Marvel.

Antman needs an interesting director, because he’s such a second string character. Edgar Wright sounded like a perfect fit, so I hope this isn’t something Marvel goes on to regret.

Wonder if anyone at DC has thought about giving Edgar a call about a possible Atom movie?

I’d love to see the original script leaked someday.

My fear is that Disney/Marvel is starting to hone in on what they think a “Marvel” movie is…and Wright’s vision for Antman didn’t fit what they want for the Marvel-Universe,

Honestly I thought Ant-Man was a weird choice to begin with but they have the benefit of the doubt from me. This article says Disney is starting to take a more hand’s on approach to their Marvel Movies which is not a good sign.

Can anyone explain the Joss Whedon pic? I don’t get why it means what it seems to mean.

Edgar Wright directed and co-wrote the Cornetto Trilogy - Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World’s End - so called because each of the films featured a Cornetto in some form.

I am just guessing, but it sounds to me as if Wright wanted this to be a satire comedy and Marvel started thinking “Uhh…we may have to use this character again. Do we really want him to be a comedic figure?”

^This. I really think the script was likely too quirky to fit the shared continuity they’re striving for with all the movies. I’ve no doubt the film would have been entertaining, a least to me and other fans of their work, but I can see where Marvel was coming from.