Edmund Fitzgerald

Was the ship in that ole Gordon Lightfoot song (The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald) real? Did such a ship sink a hundred or so years ago?

Totally real. Check out this site for details.

One of the cable stations did a facinating story on this a few years back.

Gordon Lightfoot’s The Ballad of the Yarmouth Castle was about an actual ship as well.

Try thirty or so years ago…

Thanks!

Eh, 30, 100 years ago…who’s counting…

The Ballad Of Apollo XIII was a little more recent, too. :wink:
One of my favorites…

Damn! I didn’t know GL did a song about the sinking of the Yarmouth Castle! I sailed on that ship!
Life magazine did a several-page spread on the sinking at the time.

Nothing significant ot add here, 'cept I went to high school with a girl whose dad died on the EF. In one class while learning about local history, a teacher played the Lightfoot song w/o realizing this girl’s history. When someone told him, he apologized profusely, though she didn’t seem that upset really. I suppose she had somewhat gotten used to it, as she was only about 3 or 4 when he died.

That song creeped me out as a kid.
Who was the ship named after?

Edmund Fitzgerald. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry. I couldn’t resist. :smiley:

From this site:

slight hijack- saw Gordon Lightfoot on a TV show recently. Egads, he looked horrible! About 90 lbs and looked like he went through a ringer!

There is nothing “secret” or “special” about 1000 island dressing.

I love that song, but the wreck itselfs creeps me out. I love reading about shipwrecks, and watching documentaries on them (like the Lusitania, Titanic, etc), but when they show footage from the wreckage, it just scares me. Especially, for some reason the “Fitz.”

I have nightmares where I look outside my window, and instead of seeing my front yard, I see nothing but black ocean and the wreck of the Titanic or the Empress of Ireland about five feet away.

shudder