Eek! They like me, they really like me! NOW what?! Writer's advice sought...

I wrote a small, happy lil’ piece this summer about my horse and I. It was submitted and accepted by a major breed publication called Arabian Horse World, then later republished in Arabian Horse Quarterly (it’s on the Barnes and Noble magazine rack now, in fact…if you’re really curious, go take a peek at my article, “Don’t Buy an Arabian.”)

The other day I got an email from one of the magazine’s two editors. This was followed up with a phone call yesterday. They loved my piece and would like me to do more freelance work with them. Of course, I said I’d love to (writing being a dream and all), and I will be speaking with the editors and publisher more once the publisher is back in the country.

I hung up the phone both giddy and scared to death! They want to see my stuff…but…but…what do I show them now? What if they don’t like it?..blah blah blah. You know, general writer’s insecurities type thing. The editor had said she’d like to see what else I’d written, and I do have other pieces I’d done this summer that were written with other horse-related markets in mind. I’m not sure they’d be a good match, but it’s what I’ve got.

Question is…um…NOW what? Do I write more stuff? Do I talk about ideas with them? (I have a ton of ideas, but few drafts, right now.) I’ve never gotten past the one-time-publication step. How does this next step usually happen? They wanted to know how far I lived from their offices–I’m assuming they were wanting to meet with me…? What happens at those meetings? (Etc, so forth, so on…)

Wow and a half. Hooray for me! (Even if nothing comes of it–still, hooray for me!) And thanks in advance for any insight you may have. :slight_smile:

I have no advice, but congratulations!

Hooray for you. It’s ‘my horse and me’, though. Take grammar lessons or get a gifted copy editor. Just a thought.

• PW

Yeah, what the lovely Jaade said. That’s really cool! I’ll just say, if they liked your article so much, they’re probably going to like your others too. And they’ve probably dealt with newbies before (pardon the term,) so they’ll probably be gentle with you.

…no, actually, it’s My Horse And I.

No, actually, it’s ‘about my horse and me’. It’s predicative. Do you say “People are talking about I?”

Actually not.

• PW

I guess I don’t get the context… My horse and I are walking down the path…

Just to finish the highjack (I hope), in one case we have the subject and in the other we have the object of the sentence, “I” and “me” respectively. Forget the horse for a minute and try both sentences without it.

And back to the thread:

Congratulations!

When it’s the SUBJECT of the verb (My horse and I walked down the path) it’s I. When it’s the OBJECT of the verb (I wrote a book about my horse and me) it’s me. Clear?

I’m not trying to be a smartass. It’s just that American schools quit teaching grammar in about 1968. It’s a real shame. As a writer, you can break all the rules, but you need at least to understand them.

Having said that. Ruffian, way to go! Write more stuff. Definately. This could be the start of something wonderful. Freelance writing is a wonderful profession. But do, please, check the grammar. :slight_smile:

• PW

“Just to finish the highjack”

It really wasn’t a highjack. The OP asked for advice and it was sincerely given. There’s nothing hard about grammar, it’s just that nobody seems to be teaching it. I’m genuinely thrilled about Ruffian’s opportunity.

• PW

I was in school in 1968… :dubious: but I tire of this!

Congrats Ruffian! Peace! Out!

Okay. Ruffian has one grammatical slip in her op and now we’re at statements like these? Honestly, that’s just worthy of ridicule. No one has stopped teaching grammar. It may not be emphasized the same way it was back in the day, but it would seem nothing is if you look hard enough.

Please don’t take one mistake from a talented (and usually meticulous) writer of unique voice and use it to justify your bias (however valid you may feel it to be) against our school systems.

Just a thought.

(…though that sounds a lot like a fragment, so I should probably say that what I’m saying is just a thought and should be taken accordingly.)

But I guess you don’t feel quite as strongly about spelling.
It’s definitely.
Clear?
Definitely. :stuck_out_tongue:

The law rules. If you pick on someone’s grammar or spelling you *will * make a mistake in your own.

Salem, the editor who knows how hard it is to edit yourself
And I almost forgot the OP! Sorry Ruffian. Big congrats to you! That’s so cool! And yes, send them stuff you have written and have someone who hasn’t read them, and whose skills you trust, go over them. It’s seriously difficult to edit your own work. The publisher/editors will be able to tell what your basic skills and style are, and can work on polishing the details if they like what they see. You don’t get published unedited, anyway. They want to get a sense of how you write on a regular basis. In speaking to you, they will probably want to know things about how you work in terms of deadlines and writing to specification as related to both subject matter and story length. They may throw out ideas for articles and ask how you would approach the subjects. They will probably look to see how creative, flexible and open to direction you are.
High energy, enthusiasm and a willingness to work within their parameters creatively will go a long way. Best of luck to you!!!

My horse and I walk into a bar…
Congratulations on getting published!

Congrats, Ruffian!