Efficacy of Universal Remotes?

I suspect the reason some people just don’t like these remotes is b/c they don’t understand that aspect of it - the remote HAS to keep track of what’s on in order to properly switch activities. It does it well, though, and the HELP button is very intuitive to get things back in sync.
BarnOwl - you may be able to do what you want. As gotpasswords noted, the equipment profiles that Logictech maintains often have commands available that the original remotes don’t support. I can check the database if you send me the model numbers for your equipment and see if it looks like it has it.

I have a question about the smart remotes. My projector has to be switched from one aspect ratio to the other depending on what we’re watching. To switch it, you have to hit the Menu button, then use the L/R buttons to page through several tabs, then the down button to go to the aspect ratio option, then L/R to change it. The menu window remembers which tab you were on last, and the tabs wrap around with the L/R commands.

I’d love it if I could get a control that had a “wide screen” button and a “3:4” button, but I can’t think of a way to script that sequence without storing the state of the menu the last time I used it. Is the Harmony smart enough to do all that?

Also, is there a list of compatible systems on Harmony’s website? I couldn’t find it in about 2 minutes of searching.

Thank you very much joemama!!!

I’ll do it first thing tomorrow. Doing an extended baby sitting session today for our grand kids.

JoeMama - here are model numbers

TV: SonyTrinitron
KV-36FS17

Panasonic DVD Recorder
DMR-ES15

Cable Box
Scientific Atlanta
Explorer 8000

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to help me on this.

Hi Barnowl,

All those device appear to be supported. The command options for the DVD Recorder have “Eject”, which I would guess does what you want it to do (althought there is no way to tell without the actual device). However, in setting up my own devices, its seems that the command does what it describes, and if it shows in the list, is available.

Thank you!!

Harmony used to have an online listing of what they could control, but that seems to be hidden now. :frowning:

Chances are excellent that they have direct codes to toggle aspect ratios for your projector. When you set up the Watch TV activity, you’d presumably have it issue the 4:3 command, and for Watch Movies, it would send out the 16:9 command along with turning on the DVD player, turning off the cable box, setting the AV receiver to the DVD input and turning on Dolby.

I base this on Harmony (err…Logitech) having far more commands for my TV than the TV’s remote came with, and among them is the collection of direct access to aspect ratios.