Egypt's first post-Revolution parliamentary elections Monday 11/28/11

Riiiight. Because no politcal party in America would ever promote Government control over a woman’s body or legislate one religious view over minority religious beliefs. :dubious:

Right, because viewing a fetus as being alive and not allowing a woman to kill it is the same thing as treating women as slaves.

[hijack]Yeah. Actually it pretty much is. A slave to the fetus, but still a slave.[/hijack]

Poll results delayed, to be released Friday.

It’s just the first stage, anyway:

I will wait and see for now, but considering they have to cooperate with the Salafists and compete with them we may see them trying to “out-reactionary” each other so to speak.

Maybe not.

Looks like the MB will be the center of Egyptian politics and Nour will be the far-right. From the center, MB can ally with either end, and they say they don’t want to ally with Nour.

And it looks like the Army ain’t gonna let go easily.

Oh? Who is being left out?

Polls open for second round of voting.

Third round of three starts today. MB still leading the pack.

Final results are in: MB’s FJP gets 47% of the seats in the lower house of Parliament; hardline-Islamist al-Nour gets 24%, liberal al-Wafd 7%, the rest of the seats to smaller parties.

So what the world is going to have to deal with, in Egypt, is either an MB government, or a de facto military government like they’ve got now.

Elections to the upper house in February, then elections to a Constituent Assembly to write a new Constitution; but, based on what we’ve seen here, MB should predominate at every stage.

Oh, great. The constitutional court just ordered Parliament dissolved.

I don’t know if this is horrible news because it throws out the election results, or good because corrupt results aren’t being allowed to stand. I guess it depends on whether they can run a better election next time.

I guess this comment didn’t address the possibility that the elections were legit and the court’s ruling is not. I don’t know which of those is the case.

That’s my guess. I think it’s an obvious power grab by the military.

It’s just my opinion, so no cites to back it up.

Apparently, Parliament refuses to consider itself dissolved. However, “Soldiers have already been stationed around the parliament, with orders not to allow in MPs.”

OK, now that Egypt is keeping all legislative and a lot of executive power for itself,
New York Times

Of course, the military never wanted parliament dissolved :rolleyes:
Guardian

And finally, although it seems like Mohammed Mursi has won, the official results won’t be until Thursday. Plenty of time for “surprise” victory for the general’s favorite, Ahmed Shafiq. Or maybe the courts that the generals have no control over will declare the presidential elections null and void too. Probably neither will happen, but I wouldn’t put it past them.

Anyway, will the Egyptian people have it in them to protest again against military rule, or will they just go grudgingly along with it? The Muslim Brotherhood is threatening protests, but that seems to be it.

Ooh! Now this is going to get interesting! President Morsy just summoned Parliament to reconvene, in defiance of the military’s orders.