Electric Blues + Hip Hop = BLAKROC

Hey kids, are you fans of The Black Keys? Do you like your rap/Hip Hop?

If so, then check out what happens when the Black Keys get together with some of the biggest names in Rap and Hip Hop:

Youtube - The Black Keys + Mos Def and Jim Jones - Ain’t Nothing Like You (Hoochie Coo)

This is seriously cool stuff. And it’s just one track off the upcoming CD from Blakroc. This entire album is the Black Keys collaborating with various hip hop artists like Ludacris, Wu Tang Clan, Mos Def, and others, and the results are astonishing. It sounds like a new genre of music, and the fit is incredible.

If you want to hear more, there’s a multi-part ‘webisode’ on the making of the cd. Here’s Part 1 on Youtube. You can follow sidebar links for the other parts.

This is the most anticipated album of the year for me. I think it might be a monster crossover smash. But even if it doesn’t find a huge audience, it sounds spectacular. It comes out on Nov 27.

I’d be interested in what the rest of you think about this.

Okay, I’m hooked. Never heard of the Black Keys before, so I looked them up too, and am liking. Thanks for the link! I’m off to amazon, heh.

Been anticipatin this. Scratches my N.E.R.D. itch maybe even better than N.E.R.D. would.

Awesome.

I hadn’t heard of this project until this thread so I owe the OP a debt of gratitude. Between this and Them Crooked Vultures, November is turning into a great month for music.

Yep, I’ve been waiting for this one ever since ?uestlove mentioned it on his Twitter feed a month or so ago…

I like that sound quite a lot. I must have more.

Interesting sound. Needs more cow bells.

I’m glad to see you guys had the same reaction I did. And looking around the comments on Youtube and various other sites, it seems pretty universal. I’m looking forward to this one a lot.

BTW, the Black Keys are very similar to the White Stripes in that they started in the same region, both bands were duos, and they both did a lot of experimental stuff. Both are heavily blues influenced, but where the White Stripes took it in a more rock/pop direction, the black keys went more towards the old style roots blues. Both bands are fantastic.

BTW, here’s the list of artists collaborating on this:

Billy Danze
The Black Keys ( Dan Auerbach & Patrick Carney )
Jim Jones
Nicole Wray
NOE
Ludacris
Mos Def
ODB ( ol’ dirty bastard )
Pharoahe Monch
Q-Tip
Raekwon
RZA

If you haven’t heard the Black Keys solo stuff, I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Some Youtube examples:

Psychotic Girl
I Got Mine
Things Ain’t Like They Used To Be

Those are from ‘Attack and Release’, which I thought was one of the best albums of last year. All amazing stuff.