Electric Can Opener Shortage

So my mom is 89 and is didn’t like the safety can opener I bought her last month, so I took it back to Wally World and then saw that there were none on the shelves. OK, so I went to another and same story, all out. Just empty spaces where weeks ago there were many.

So I went to Target, Meijer and checked Amazon. Looked at Lowes, Home Depot and Dollar Stores just to cover my bases. All were out or back ordered. All she wants is a simple 1970s style can opener like she always had, none to be found.

Most people I talked to this about blamed it on Covid, speculating that more people are eating canned foods this year and realized they needed one. Obviously the manufacturers didn’t see this coming. What to do? Maybe Salvation Army or Goodwill has a used one.

Or eBay.

Looking at Amazon, I seen numerous electric can openers available, many arriving before Christmas. Are you looking for a very specific style, make, or model? I have no idea what a “70’s” style can opener looks like.

My own mother has severely limited motion in her arms and I would consider purchasing her something like this if she didn’t want a safety can opener. It looks pretty foolproof and easy to use.

Addendum: If your mom just doesn’t like a manual can opener but is otherwise OK with the safety-type, there’s numerous electric safety can openers available on Amazon as well.

Where she lives doesn’t have delivery available until after Christmas. She isn’t strong enough to use her manual one anymore.

Walmart had many “old style” electric ones before Thanksgiving for around $20. Now none are in stock. I may try Kohls later today.

Just strange their would be a run on this common item. Myself I don’t even have one. I use frozen instead of canned goods myself.

I know nothing about transportation logistics, but there may be still problems in the supply and transportation chains from earlier in the year. Add that to the Christmas rush (but for can openers? HellifIno) and it may just be one of things that stores will have to wait until after Christmas to get restock.

There are some huge problems left over in the USPS system at least , due to the reorg Turmp forced to cripple the USPS to prevent mail ballots.

Small appliances have been hit hard by Covid related logistics problems and the longer term move to just in time inventory. I wanted a hand mixer, mine had broken, and I wanted to swing through Target and grab one - six months later, I broke down and did an Amazon order - and then had to go for my second choice.

This one seems pretty close to the old 1970s ones that I recall. Different aesthetics, but seems to be the same otherwise, right down to the knife sharpener that’s included.

Thats it! I ordered it and it will show up on Monday. Now I don’t have to run around and check shelves. Haven’t done that in years.

Thanks!

Glad to have helped!

Now, can anyone help me find a 1920s-style death ray? All the stores are totally out!

Google shopping keeps giving me results for 1920s style flapper dresses. Useful items, but not necesarily interchangeable with death rays!

First, it has to be avocado green

And instead of making a smooth safe cut it makes jagged rough cutouts that are more dangerous than Ninja throwing stars.

Just as an aside, I like safety can openers because they produce a can with a close fitting lid that makes them very handy as storage containers. In particular, if you’re into primitive fire starting and want to make char cloth, a safety can opener turns any tuna or chicken can into a perfect tinder tin.

We would make throwing stars with cans. But first you go around the edge with one of those triangular punch openers to make some star points then use the regular opener to cut the lid loose.

You know, sometimes it’s good that kids don’t do any real life stuff any more and just play with their phones and video games.

You don’t even need to do that, just use an old-fashioned ratchet type opener like are included with many pocket knives. You’ll get an edge and spikes that you’re lucky not to slice a finger open on.

could be factories are making more items with higher profit margins