Electrical [do they make GFI switches]

Do they make a gfi switch

It depends on what you mean by a GFI switch, but yes, they do.

Usually it’s a combination switch and outlet in the same unit, but they also make GFI pass through switches. And of course they make GFI breakers.

The switch mechanism, however, is separate from the GFI mechanism.

Moderator Note

Thread title edited to more clearly indicate the subject. Please use more descriptive thread titles in the future.

It would probably be more useful if you explain what you’re trying to do, then we can point you to the correct hardware to get, if needed.

IDK if this helps but I have used a GFO outlet as a switch for downstream equipment using the ‘test’ and ‘reset’ buttons for switching purposes. Yes, I may have broken about a half dozen codes by doing so, and I since repented and all is well, but (insert devil smiley icon) yes it can be done.

Code allows the first outlet in a circuit to be used as GFI protection for the rest of the outlets downstream. While the intent is not for it to be used as a switch, who’s going to complain?

GFI outlets, like circuit breakers, are not designed to be switched constantly, and may fail after a while. If you need to switch something, use a switch.

Pretty much what I said.

Maybe the OP is thinking about a wet hand touching a wall switch?

I worry about that too. I won’t touch a wall switch if my hands are dripping wet. AFAIK theres no GFI protection on most light circuits.

Ditto. I’ve never actually been shocked - but I think there is a path from the switch right inside to the terminals.

I think what the OP actually needs is a sealed switch, one that is sealed internally so that no amount of dripping water can reach the terminals.

The ultimate in sealed switches are air switches - I’ve seen them used for a hot tub. When you push the switch, it increases air pressure in a tube that connects to a switch located far away.

Would it not be simple to have the breaker replaced with a GFCI breaker at the panel? You should be able to make any circuit GFCI protected this way.

Actually, circuit breakers classified as SWD or HID are designed to be used as switches. See NEC 240.83(D).

There are a number of issues with this:
[ul][li]The breaker panel is likely in an inconvenient location if you get nuisance trips.[/li][li]GFCI breakers are far more expensive than GFCI receptacles or non-GFCI breakers. Locally, Home Depot sells the regular QO115CP breaker for $6.44, the GFCI QO115GFICP breaker for $65.97, and the R72-N7599-0RW GFCI receptacle for $12.58.[/li]Some wiring configurations do not easily lend themselves to GFCI breakers, like a multiwire branch circuit.[/ul]

Thanks Terry. That explains why it is not a more common solution.