Electroplating: how do they avoid ugly flaws where the copper wires were attached?

Every time I see one of those motorcycle shows or some other show that demonstrates an electroplating process, it appears that they tie the part onto a copper frame using copper wire before immersing the part in the plating bath and turning on the juice. On the motorcycle frames, they even attach little pigtails of copper wire to the ends of the frame to assist in the process.

One thing I have never seen them address: Won’t the copper wire leave marks where it is in contact with the part? Won’t the areas in direct contact with the wire be shielded somewhat from the plating material? At the very least, the plating should show a slight “shadow” of the wires, and if the plating is for corrosion resistance, one tiny pit could compromise the whole process.

Every chromed part I have seen has always been flawless, without any signs of where wires were attached.

How is this achieved?

Polishing, and lots of it. Every step in the electoplating process (copper, nickel and chrome, and usually several times each, IIRC) is both preceded and followed by polishing the part on a buffing wheel.

And attatching the wire to different places on different steps. Also consider that you very seldom see the entire surface of any plated object. The same holes into which the screws that mount it fit can be used to connect the wires.

Tris