Elevator Keys aka Fireman's Keys

Please have a look at the dates of the above posts.

A maintenance key will only put an elevator into inspection mode or attendant mode. Inspection mose the elevator will move at slow speed. In attendant mode the car will still stop at any floors with a hall call.

This is so the wrong way to get on to the top of an elevator car and can cost you your life.

The fire recall key will not work inside the car if the system is not in phase I first.

The key is call the elevator fire recall key here is how it works.

1st the key is used in the main recall floor (normally street level) It is turned and removed. this will recall all elevators to the lobby where the doors will open and stay open. This is phase I. At this none of the elevators can be used.

To use an elevator inside the elevator is the fire recall keyway put the key in this keyway and turn. This elevator is now in phase II. The door close button has to be pushed and held until the door is fully closed. Now a floor call buton can be pushed. the elevator will go to the selected floor and stop. The doors will not open until the open door button is pushed and held. If the doors are not 100% open the doors will close when the door open button is pushed, and if you steped out of the car as the doors close it becomes time to call the elevator company. They will have to jump out several relays and jump across several contacts to put the elevator back into service, large bill.

If you are on the top floor you can not actavate the elevator recall, that is unless you trip an smoke detector in the elevator lobby. And if you use the key in the lobby to recall the levators then go up to the top floor the building is now with out elevator service.

If the property managers find out that you are using an fire recall key and they have to call out the elevator service company expect to recieve a large bill.

You can also get this to work by standing on one foot crossing your eyes and doing a tap dance.

OOPs

I know this is a zombie thread but it’s still interesting and the subject material doesn’t date, so - what’s the correct way to get on top of an elevator car, assuming you had a good reason to do so?

Use the maintenance key. Take the elevator to the top floor. Using the maintenance key put the car in inspection. Get off the elevator. Put the mainteenance key in the hall inspection keyway. Holding the outer door open turn the key in the down direction. Lower the car until the top is level withthe floor. step onto the top of the car and let the outer door close. On the top of the car should be an inspection switch, turn it on. Push the down button and deadman’s button at the same time. Keep track of where the counter weight is at all times.

The engineers and some of the security personnel at the building i work in have UTE keys (i dont know what it stands for) that are shaped like the letter u, almost like a long tube that has one small side missing. This steep crescent shaped key fits into a keyhole in the elevator, which then switches the elevator to “independent” mode, in which the elevator ignores the call buttons on various floors but will respond to the control panel inside the elevator. I dont know how to obtain such a key, but i assume they are only available through the elevator company.

My days in a 16 floor apt building, someone using our maintenance elevator managed to block up two elevators by putting a ladder through the escape hatch. They were moving in and had permission to use the elevator, but the escape hatch was closed when he started. The ladder, being 16 ft tall, didn’t fit in the elevator without opening said hatch and sticking it through.
When it met the counter weight, it became a twisted and broken pile of aluminum scrap that caused the brakes on both the maint. elevator and one next to it to lock, in such a way that the only way to put them back in service was bring in the elevator service people, who made sure the police were there when they let the man out.

He was not arrested, but he did receive a rather large bill from the apt. management.
We were without our maint. elevator until the hatch was repaired.

Sounds like not only did he hit the counter weight but also managed to get the emergency brakes to engage. OOps:eek:

You get the key from the elevator manufacture or a company llike Adams elevator parts company.