Elfie's frostbitten ass: who else had a shitty Monday?

[sub]This is a whiney rant, so sue me.[/sub]

I don’t believe that Mondays are cursed. I’ve always found it amusing in the Garfield comics that there was a thread of paranoia over being “gotten” by a Monday, as if it was waiting there, waiting to strike the unsuspecting. Well, a Monday got me yesterday.

I’m anemophobic (fear of wind) so it was super to be woken up by howling winds an hour before I was supposed to get up, since I wasn’t able to calm myself enough to go back to sleep. I was able to guess within 3/mph how stong the wind gusts were, though.

As you may know, and gotten a chuckle over while watching the weather channel, God had forsaken the northeast yesterday, as evident by the fact that it was 20F colder than the norms for March third. Even before adding the fucking wind. Oh, and it rained/sleeted the night before.

My mom and I work at the same company, so we usually carpool. Yesterday we were taking her jeep because my POS is having problems with the battery. When we were about to leave for work, we discovered that my brother’s new car (oposed to the old for sale one , that’s parked farther up the driveway, ahead of my car) was blocking the jeep in- my car was parked along side of it. I trotted back up the driveway, and grabbed his keys, it’s not hard to move a car, right?

Well, it is if the doors and locks are frozen. My car’s too! Eventually, we were able to pry my door open, so I moved my car, and the fun began. I sat on Vince’s car, so I could direct mom’s attempts to back the jeep into the space my car occupied. The ice from the storm the night before made it take a long time, probably 10 minutes. Once the jeep was free I backed my car into the driveway again, where it promptly stalled and refused to turn over again. At least I got it all the way into the driveway, right?

It soon became evident from the burning that my ass and legs weren’t just cold, they were mildly frostbitten- through my pants and long underwear, no fair. I don’t care how mild it is, frostbite on your ass hurts, especially if you’ve going to be sitting on that same ass at work all day.
Work sucked more than usual too. I don’t know how much of my pissy mood to attribute to the frostbite and interupted sleep, since we trained on a question much longer than usual. Trainings usually take an hour or two, yesterday it took 7 & 1/2 hours. 4 hours of which were spent trying to listen to a man who was mumbling while people whispered and made tapping and other assorted noises, all designed to drive me insane. Maybe that’s self-centered, perhaps they were hoping to drive others insane as well.

Later that night, an hour or so after I washed my face, I noticed that I seemed to be having an allergic reaction to something. I know this because my entire face, except for stark white circles around my eyes, was beet red. Typically this only happens if I use a face thing with clay in it, since I’m allergic to clay. But all I did was use Noxemia(sp) which I’ve used every week for years. Maybe it was the detergent used on the washcloth, I don’t know. I admitted defeat, and went to bed at nine. Sometime around 11 I finally fell asleep.

In summation I hate wind, I hate winter, I hate frostbite, the trainer was an ashole, and my Monday sucked big donkey dicks. So how was yours?

Mine sucked too. Found out late last week that my dog has an inoperable tumor in his liver, and then instead of being able to spend some time with him Monday afternoon like I had planned, I was in the dentist chair for 2 1/2 hours getting a tooth fixed. Yeah, some fun, that. But at least the fucking bad weather is letting up.

Your Monday was definitely worse than mine, thanks for cheering me up! All I can complain about was the evil streetcar ride …

It normally runs every 3-4 minutes (it’s a busy route) but I had to stand in the blistering, arid, miserable cold for at least 10 before it came. It was packed, of course (it’s usually half-empty, I live near the end of the line heading towards downtown) because it was much too cold for anyone to contemplate walking or waiting for the next one, all of us at the stop would have sold our firstborn to get on, it was that cold. So we elbowed our way on, squished into a space already tightly packed with people and their twenty pounds of winter gear. And of course it gets very hot in such a space, but you couldn’t raise your arms to undo your jacket, so I stood immobile, held up by the press of bodies around me, sweating quietly and praying the sweat would not then freeze once I got off the streetcar. Amazingly, more people managed to squish on at each stop - only two or three per stop, though, leaving the rest of the people waiting in the cold, who I’m sure were just as willing as we were to sell their firstborn to get on the car. You could see the agony in their faces as we passed, and frequently read the cuss words on their lips.

Of course tempers flare in such a situation, packed like sardines with strangers on the coldest March 3rd ever recorded in Toronto, at the end (touch wood) of the coldest winter in Toronto in memory. So one woman, after being told she couldn’t board because the doors couldn’t close, yelled ‘Well, I hope you’re happy, now I’m going to be late for work!’ Everyone on the streetcar laughed. And another woman bitched out a mother and child for ‘shoving’ - sorry, lady, in such a situation you have to put up with a bit of shoving, get used to it.

None of the escalators were working, once I got off the streetcar, so with the painfully dry air and the effort of negotiationg zillions of people and climing endless stairs, I had a minor athsma attack, which is very painful in the cold.

But by 9:30 things looked up and my ass remained smooth and reasonably warm, so really I shouldn’t complain. But if it makes you feel any better, a sunburned ass is probably just as bad as a frostbitten one.

I’m afraid to dream that this winter might someday be over!

Yesterday I broke two nails and cracked two more when I fell out of bed because my feet were caught in the bedding. Then I made the idiot mistake of using a different brand of hair color and turned my head the exact color of a ginger cat. Skulked down to the store to buy another box of the correct color and who was in the parking lot but a nasty biatch I knew from school. I re-dyed my hair and now it’s nearly black, since I’m transparent/pale this does not look good. Picture the mom from the Addams family.

I went to make myself lunch and noticed we were out of clean glasses, except for the cup I mix my shake in in the morning. I pour my soda in that one, then forget what I’m doing, put on the top and shake. Now there’s soda all over the kitchen, me, and the damned cats. I spent the rest of the day cleaning and re-cleaning, then bandaging scratches received from very un-amused kitties. I won’t go into what happened that night, but I was glad to go to bed, alone dammit, and turn out the lights on a thoroughly crappy day.