Empire: Total War

Anyone getting it? I’m a bit worried my computer isn’t gonna be able to handle it at (single core processor) and the period isn’t my favourite (frankly I would have prefered Rome II: Total War) - too much ‘charge of the Light Brigade’ style madness. In past TW games I like to use a couple of armies through entire theaters, battle after battle, but with volleys of musketfire flying about left right and center I’m worried I’m gonna have to resupply every ten minutes.

On the plus side, improved campaign map, naval battle for the first time, better AI. I’ll probably end up getting it, I love the TW series.

Wild horses couldn’t prevent me from buying this game as soon as it’s available.

-XT

No way I’m touching this game until it’s been released for awhile.

I’d love to give it a shot. BTW, does anyone every actually use missile troups? If so, why? They take forever to get a round off and they only kill like 3 guys at a time. Stick them on a wall, sure. But in the field? I’ll take an infantry unit every time over those worthless crap heaps.

out of curiosity, how would wild horses prevent one from doing anything? I mean, unless they happened to be stampeding the store you intended to purchase the game at, I don’t see them being too much of a problem…

that said, I’m a big total war fan, just don’t know if the new one will run on my laptop

I played an entire game using almost nothing but Janissary Musketeers. A few JHI for cover, and a bit of heavy cav to exploit routs, but mostly just volley fire. It was rather fun. I’m looking forward to Empire, and hope they have the mechanics down well enough that period tactics will work properly.

If you lived in the Great Southwest you wouldn’t question this…it’s well known. Essentially wild horse love to roam about in the vicinity of computer gaming stores and drive away customers with the letter ‘X’ in their first names, preventing them from buying the computer games they desire.

They can leap <------------------------->. They have a mean streak like you wouldn’t believe. I mean…look at the bones man!

In MTWII I use missile troops all the time. When the gun powder guys are available I generally have 3 regiments which I put just in front of my main line and in skirmish mode. They are quite effective with my own play style.

-XT

I guess that explains it. I lived in the MidWest for awhile but moved to California before I turned 2. Out here we mostly fear Cougars and people from Orange County

Oh, absolutely. I usually have maybe four or five missile infantry in a full stack, and they make all the difference in the world in demoralizing enemy troops on the approach if you’ve got a good high-ground position. In the flat, you’re right; they’re unlikely to kill more than ten or so enemies on the approach. Missile cavalry are great at demoralizing enemies, too. Think of missile troops as a way to soften up the enemy’s morale, not their numbers, and you’ll be able to get the enemy to rout shortly after the battle’s joined.

Also, fun trick- when besieging a fortress or citadel with a single general’s bodyguard in it, build some ladders and put your archers on the wall near the flagged city square. The enemy general will either sit and take the damage until dead or charge out to fight, ideally smack into the pikemen you’ve prepared for this exact purpose. Great fun!

You probably also don’t have an ‘X’ in your first name…though I believe cougars and people from Orange County mainly blockade 7-11’s in any case…

-XT

contrary to popular belief, Orange County people mostly inhabit malls or over-priced fashion centers. they send the help to 7-11.

And cougars, of course, tend to hang out at bars :smiley:

you got me on the x in my name, though. I only have one in my middle name

I’ve already preordered it and I can’t wait for the game to come out. Hopefully I won’t have any homework due that week.

I’ll likely get it at some point, but TW games do seem to be buggy on release. Give it a couple months for the first couple updates.

What he said. A squadron of Prussian uhlans couldn’t keep me away from this game.

It won’t be worth playing until it’s been modded decently, and it won’t be modded until well after an expansion pack has been released, and then bundled with the original game and resold at 50% off the original price. I paid ~$50 for both RTW and MTW2, and that was just a waste of money.

To each his own, I suppose. I’ve spent hundreds of happy gaming hours with the unmodded original versions of all four games (and several hundred more with mods and expansions).

I actually got a lot of enjoyment out of the plain vanilla release of MTWII (and RTW too for that matter) long before the first expansion or mods were released. In fact, while I played the expansion a lot in MTWII, I mostly stuck to the original game until I found the SS mod. Same with RTW…I got the expansions but pretty much played the vanilla original until RTR came out (and I STILL play it today…though I’m currently playing the Templar faction in an SS MTWII game). I haven’t found the games to be buggy at all on release and can’t think of any problems I’ve had with any of them.

Still, I’m hoping enough others in my own area take a wait and see approach…at least until I have my copy in my grubby little hands! After that I’m thinking that I might be coming down with something…cough cough

-XT

Looking forward to it very, very, much. I love the Total War games and this is pretty much my favourite (and most studied) period of history, so it’ll be interesting to see what they do with it.

I’m actually off to the press day for it next week, which I’m looking forward to immensely. Time with the Total War guys and real-life cannons and muskets!

Normally I pass on the press days because they’re full of PR people who know nothing about the game, and developers looking awkward because they’ve been told to keep quiet and not contradict them. Wouldn’t have missed this one for the world though. :smiley:

Definitely give us an update then. :slight_smile:

-XT

Got it pre-ordered at steam. Looking forward to the demo too!