Employer flying tattered American flag - how annoyed should I be with this?

I wonder if any other country cares as much about their flag as the USA. For some reason it seems to instill patriotic indulgence amongst Americans.

I mean, I like Canada’s flag and all, but I don’t give a shit what people do with it. It would be like caring about a map of Canada, for example. Really?

I have no evidence, but I would guess that the vast majority of Americans don’t care, either. It’s a fairly common right-wing talking point, because if you can accuse the other side of not being patriotic enough, that somehow invalidates their arguments, but more rational folks largely ignore the jingoistic minority.

I have oft toyed with the idea of starting a blog or something posting & shaming the owners of these flags.
In related news, the local Toyota dealer recently replaced his much-worn and tattered Saudi & Toyota flags.

Hurray! Now all us unpatriotic hippy liberal dopers have something that we can haul down and burn in protest.

:wink:

ETA:

Just wait until it turns out one of your targets is a disabled veteran who’s wife just died, and he by himself has been unable to haul down and replace the flag due to a service-connected condition that limits his mobility. He was just about to muster up the courage to ask one of his patrons to help him out (it can be hard for a #realman to seek help, after all) but now he doesn’t have any patrons thanks to the outrage you’ve sparked with your photo going viral. Apparently a politician in Washington (I won’t say who) has even threatened to have him deported. No, he’s not an immigrant, legal or otherwise, but, I mean, the man clearly doesn’t respect the flag, am I right?

Could be, but as I drive through small town America there are flags everywhere: stores, houses, cars, schools, etc. It’s particularly evident in the New England area. I’m not aware of any other country where the flag is so predominantly displayed.

For me, caring dates back to my military days. One unit I was in did not have its own color guard, and I thought why not? So I approached our Sergeant Major and asked, and also asked if I could create it. He said if we could pass his inspection then he’d okay it. So with no experience whatsoever I studied up on it and got it started. Since then I’ve been a stickler for proper flag display.

Texas? :wink:

In the 1970’s, my uncle (retired Air Force) drove past the North Las Vegas Police Office. Noticing the flag was flying at night and without illumination, he lowered it, correctly folded it and gave it to the police sargent. And told him that the flag cannot be flown at night without a light.

On the third time this happened, the police were waiting and busted him, I don’t remember the charges, but his wife had to come to the station and bail him out.

Once the press got a hold of the story, the charges were dropped.

I realize this situation is different from the OP, as my uncle didn’t fear losing his job.

Just saying, that in the 70’s it was a crime to take down someone else’s flag.

Your uncle was being a dick.

Person A’s flag belongs to Person A. Person A has the moral and legal right to do whatever Person A wants to do with that flag. Person A has the right to decide for emself what constitutes “proper” handling of a flag and the proper conditions in which to fly it.

It’s not the business of the government or a bystander to make those decisions on behalf of Person A.

So, to the OP, my answer is that you have no business being annoyed by this.

The Flag Code is unenforceable and if anyone tried to enforce it, it would be struck down as unconstitutional. So, what it amounts to is just the opinion of one group of people. No one is morally or legally obligated to recognize it or follow it, or even agree with its standards.

You could just as easily decide for yourself that flying a tattered flag represents something positive, it represents perseverance and survival in the face of adversity. One can legitimately be proud of seeing that as a public symbol.

So just leave them alone.

You’re an utter dork. :slight_smile:

I’ll camp out with the folks who say it’s not your flag that’s tattered, so it’s not you … what, degrading the symbol of the country. Aha! But now you suspect your employer of doing that. And to that I’d say what you do about your relationship with your slovenly, America-disrespecting employer will tell you where you prioritize this thing you want to make an issue of. Because if you stay, then you’re saying your paycheck is more important to you than withdrawing your support from someone who disrespects the flag, their nation, and themselves. In other words, if you don’t quit your job because of this matter, then you’re selling your virtue. And we all know there’s a not nice word for that.

The Senior Living apartments in the town where I used to live, had a tattered Flag. I talked to the manager and said I’d pay to have it replaced. I didn’t however it was replaced.

You may have a point. When your meaningless symbol of patriotism gets politicized, she can personally get indignant and object to it. Ours is frustratingly silent on the matter. And when some foreign dignitary dies, folks would consider it a snub if we just sent our symbol, but your symbol can go to the funeral and be classy.

I’ll bet he knows the third verse to the “Star-Spangled Banner”, too.

I’m with the OP - I don’t care whether you fly a flag or not but if you’re going to fly it, do it properly. Otherwise, what’s the point?

Mind you, I’ve been know to get grumpy about flags on bumpers and car antennae, flags as sweatbands and boxer shorts, flags festooning every store’s July 4th sales events and so forth. For something so many people profess to honor (and pledge allegiance to), most of them treat it like shit.

Funnily enough, the people who really understand the importance of flags as a symbol are the ones who burn them (which is why they do it). The people who casually cover themselves, their houses and their vehicles with them - that’s just patriotism-signalling.

Because “properly” is a matter of opinion.

My whole statement is an opinion. I make no pretense that it is otherwise. This is the forum for opinions.

But if one claims to honor the flag and then either lets it fall into poor condition from neglect or treats it with as much reverence as a common dishtowel, I reserve the right to question that claim.

Thought 1: judge based on appearance alone. We all know the social standards, and how we might deviate from them, and how that deviation will be interpreted; therefore we are responsible for what others think of us.

Thought 2: Investigate the deviation and determine its cause, issue judgment based on the reality discovered in the research.

I don’t see the OP’s company claiming anything. So what right are you reserving for yourself?

I was making a wider point about people who fly the flag but let it fall into extreme disrepair. The situation with the OP’s employer had already been resolved by the point I posted.

I don’t really see any point you are making. What was your point? What about people who fly the flag but let it fall into extreme disrepair?

That they shouldn’t do that, and that if they aren’t going to take care of their flag they may as well not bother to fly one at all. I didn’t think this was a terribly difficult point to grasp.

I mean, I’m not proposing that they be shunned or boycotted or lined up and shot or anything like that. I was merely expressing an opinion. In the IMHO forum. Crazy, I know.