Employer flying tattered American flag - how annoyed should I be with this?

It’s a flippin’ piece of fabric. Ignore it and go on with your life.

This is an odd conversation to read if you’re from a western non-American country.

We’re a odd country.

I’m not sure why we’re proud of that fact but, there it is.

Hey, when Galtieri took the Union Jack, Maggie took a cruiser with all hands to get it back.

Handcuff yourself to the flagpole and don’t tell them where the key is until they bring in a new flag!

Seriously, this is not the sort of thing that would bother me in the least. However, there may be a point with regard to corporate image. The mechanism for raising/lowering the flag at my local post office broke while the flag was at full mast, so the flag ended up flying at night for a couple of weeks until they could get it fixed. After a couple of days, the postmaster put big signs in the windows that said, albeit much more politely than I’m phrasing it, “Yes, damn it, I KNOW the flag is not being taken down at sunset. The mechanism is broken. I’m getting it fixed as fast as I can, okay? Now STFU and stop bothering me.”

It amazed me to think that people are such busybodies that they’d go out of their way to harass the postmaster about this. Clearly, I’m naive.

Anyway, my larger point is that evidently people do take this sort of thing seriously, so it probably isn’t a good look for the company.

Don’t know if it is true or not, but I recall hearing of firms that would install flagpoles for free - or at least inexpensively - figuring they would make profits from replacement flags.

I am often confounded when I see tattered flags flying. Don’t understand how anyone could view that as anything other than a LACK of respect. If you don’t want to fly a flag in good repair - fine! Just don’t fly a flag. North that difficult.

For the OP - I’d drop it, and would be wary of suggesting any further action by Boy Scouts, American Legion, etc. I like to keep a low profile, and wouldn’t want the subsequent actions attributed to me.

A simple way to remind them might be to send them an email like this:

About the tattered American flag next to our corporate sign in front that I mentioned to you guys: recently I happened to be at the American Legion (or VFW) having a beer with John Smith, and he said that they provide a service to properly dispose of worn American flags according to the proper protocol, and that they would be happy to do that for us. So when we replace that torn & tattered flag that is reflecting badly on our company image, we can just call John Smith at 555-1212 to dispose of the old one properly, with no cost to the company.

This will serve as a reminder to them, without nagging, but looks like you are a conscientious employee looking out for the company image & cost savings.

My cousin used to be really bothered by other people’s messes. She’s better now. But at least she didn’t use her condition (or others’) as an excuse to mess with other people’s property.

This is what I came in here to say. I can’t believe you would use “kph” in a discussion about the American flag and think you’d get away with it!

Do these spies even try anymore? Well, I guess he is least trying to appear patriotic by worrying about our flag.

I used to frequent a US Post Office that flew a flag daily, but it was beat to heck. It bothered me a bit, but not to the level of saying anything.

Then one day, while at the window, an elderly veteran walked up beside me and sternly told the clerk that " a beat up flag was not to be tolerated, and please inform your manager."

I guess he did, because a few days later, a brand new one was flying. Hurray.

Too late for that. You already brought it up, so if some 3rd party starts bugging them about the flag they’re going to assume you’re connected to it.

I can’t help but feel the advice in here would be extremely different if it was, say, the tattered flag of another country. Or a PRIDE flag. People would be calling for blood, then.

Huh?

I read that as we all just hate America and love people who identify people as LGBT (as if it’s a bad thing to love people who identify as LGBT).

Did the guy write it down? If not he probably forgot about it within 10 minutes. I might bring it up with the same guy one more time, maybe with an offer an offer to replace it through the means mentioned above. Usually being reminded about something you forgot causes a brief sense of embarrassment that may prompt him to actually do something.

If nothing still happens, I’d write this off. They probably just don’t care, and won’t until it’s totally destroyed.

It’s your standard right wing martyrdom complex. He’s playing it by the book.

That’s right. No one would give a shit.

If you sic the VFW on them to come and scold them, they’ll KNOW it was YOU. just saying.

PROBLEM SOLVED - Walked in today and saw a new flag fluttering in the breeze. I also got an e-mail from the Plant Manager thanking me for bringing this to his attention. I also spoke with my Scoutmaster friend and called him off before he could gather his troop and take action.

Although they were a little slow to act, my initial hallway meeting with the Facilities manager was enough to get the ball rolling and now all is right with the world.

Many thanks to all who offered their thoughts and I do sincerely appreciate the hints about using MPH instead of KPH. Now you’ll never see me until the revolution comes.

I know what the poster is doing, but it just doesn’t make a lick of sense as the vast majority of comments were helpful in various ways to address the problem and get a new flag up.