Enclosed pools in Florida

I was watching House Hunters and they were in FL with a couple who were looking for a home with a pool.

All three houses had pools that had some kind of enclosure completely around and above the pools.

Is this to extend the pool “season” by keeping out winds that might blow in during the relatively cool winter months or do the enclosures keep bugs out during the hot humid summers or?

Not having seen what you describe, my guess would be to help keep mosquitos out.

I always hear it’s to keep bugs out. They are screens so they don’t keep the weather out.

Some shade from the sun doesn’t hurt when your in Florida either.

Many houses in Florida (at least where I’ve gone) have a large, attached area enclosed usually with screening and sometimes walls+screening. It may or may not include a pool.

It is sometimes called a ‘Florida Room’ and yes its purpose is to provide an outdoor sitting or activity area free of insects.

They seem to be more prevalent on newer or upscale houses. I’ve seen some Florida Rooms almost as large as the main house footprint.

It’s to keep bugs out. It does not extend the pool season, they actually reduce it since the pool will take a little longer to warm up. The screen has a small effect of keeping the pool cooler, although that’s not it’s intended purpose. Same as having a shade tree nearby.

Most of the concern if for mosquitoes, although we have plenty of other big, scary bugs that you also wouldn’t want to be swimming with. Consider that most Floridians have jobs*, so if they want to swim after work that’s prime skeeter feeding time.

*We’re not down here on holiday.

A screened in porch or pool area is not necessarily a “Florida room”. A Florida room would be more like an interior room in terms of flooring, etc, than a back porch. Some of the places UncleFred has seen would be Florida rooms, some aren’t. The term is not ubiquitously used here, and probably used more by real estate agents and transient residents (snowbirds).

insect screens are popular. fully enclosed pools not so much.

Pic of screened-in pool in Florida.

A commonly used term down here is Lenai. It refers to a screened in porch which is all about keeping out the bugs and complaining about the damage from hurricanes and cats’ claws. In some homes, the lenai extends out to a covered pool area as well.

But yes, it’s all about bugs.

I put one up mainly for the insects. It does make it nice for parties outside.
Mine is about 2000 sq ft.

Insects, snakes, leaves, possums, racoons, rats, little kids, airborne organic debris. It helps to keep em all out. And as someone mentioned, the little bit of shade is often nice too.

We looked at a house recently with an enclosed pool. It does three things, all of which may or may not be intentional. One, it prevents leaves, pine needles and to a lesser degree airborne soils from getting in the pool. True, they accumulate instead on the screen panels but they can be blown away with a leaf blower or hose. Two, they provide a mosquito and gnat free environment. In humid environs like ours and Florida this is HUGE. Three, they’re an additional safety barrier preventing uninvited kids from entering and potentially drowning in your pool. It’s easy enough to pass though or over many fences. A screened in pool with locking door: not so much.

Probably not relevant to residential pools, but I’ll mention it anyway…

I like to swim laps for exercise. When I lived in Orlando, Florida, every public swimming pool was an outdoor pool. I don’t think I got through one workout without being kicked out of the pool due to lightning warnings. (Florida is the lightning capital of the world.)

I would much rather have had at least one public pool that was enclosed so I could work out without always being kicked out. When I moved to New England, I was able to consistently work out because there are a lot more public pools that are enclosed.

P.S. On reflection, it might have just been the overly conservative approach to lightning safety at the navy base in Orlando. They had a lightning detector that would detect lightning within 50 miles or so. If lightning was detected within 20 miles, they would shut the base pool down. A day did not go by without the pool being shut down at least once.

Much of the SE gets a lot of lightning with afternoon thunderstorms. The difference is Florida gets it almost year round.

Nitpick: The term, when used, is"Lanai", as in the island in Hawai’i, where apocryphally it was first put into use.

The last reason is actually a big one here. It’s called an attractive nuisance and you have to take steps to keep kids out. Usually fencing isn’t enough, you have to have something that locks. It may be a statewide law or at least a local one but most localities would have laws covering this because pools are so common here. Also, I’d imagine it would be hard getting insurance if you don’t have something to keep kids out. Because if some kid trespasses on your property and dies or is injured you can bet the parents will sue your ass off.

I always heard insurance requires a locked fence around a pool at a house. Here in NC they have a quirky law about public pools - the fence gate must be at the shallow end of the pool, not the deep end.

You must have been swimming in the afternoon. Morning thunderstorms are quite rare in Orlando, while afternoon Thunderstorms during the summer are very common.

I’d always heard that too, but apparently it’s not universal. 13 years ago, we bought a house in Illinois that had an above ground pool. There was a raised deck that wrapped half way around the pool, with a wide open stairway to the ground. We asked our insurance agent if we needed to have a fence and lock, and he said it wouldn’t affect our home insurance rate either way.

Exactly what I have. Point is to keep the bugs, leaves, frogs and lizards out of the pool. Very few people in my area have pools without them being screened in.