Engineer_comp_geek needs to brush up on his moderating skills

Check again. Those are all synonyms for “posting in bad faith”.

This.

Do we have a link to the warning?

The Warning.

I think that “Walled garden for milksops” should be our new slogan.

And yes, I thought the OP had openly admitted blatant trolling even before it was modded.

Funny. Here’s the actual link.

What I find most intriguing is why someone who thinks this is a walled garden for milksops would spend any time here at all.

Let’s say I’m making cereal, and I find that I’m out of milk. Well, a stroll over to the garden, a quick squeeze of the sop, and I’m in Alphabits-land!

If we are a walled in garden for milksops, we’ve been one for over 20 years now. The sort of misrepresentation that the OP engaged in has always been against the rules, here.

@Princhester: Admitting that your post was disingenuous has been considered trolling for as long as I’ve been here–and that’s been over a decade. Wally got banned. umkay got banned. Someone with a name related to the numbers six or seven got banned (I can’t remember).

If we were milksops here, then your post, with its clear insulting language for anyone who could possibly disagree with you, would be moderated. But, egc has said in the past, he lets people vent a bit in ATMB, as long as it doesn’t get to Pit levels. The people who are upset may have a point.

Unfortunately, I don’t think you do. We all know that the rules are the start, not the end of how moderation is done here. The most you might be able to advocate for is making this rule that has existed forever more explicit.

Though I do seem to remember reading something that said not to engage in trickery to “make a point.” Granted, that might have been on another forum.

One warning does not lead to banning. The mods take into account a poster’s history of behavior. A person who has one or two warnings, but otherwise is a decent poster most of the time doesn’t have to worry. The people who do get banned might rack up a large number of warnings in a short period of time, and it often takes a few suspensions before someone is eventually banned.

It’s a step towards banning in the same way a speeding ticket is a step towards having your license revoked. It’s on your record, sure, but unless you have a lot, or more serious violations, all in a relatively short time, it is just that, a note on your record.

And btw, I’m disgusted, not offended, in that as I stated earlier, he creates a thread in bad faith, while others try to respond in good faith, and uses that as evidence that there is no ‘good’ answer to an outlandish Conspiracy Theory. I am offended that you just described all of us who find bad faith posts as “needing to toughen up, princess.” That was a personal insult for having intellectual honesty.

It’s a shame that the thread was closed, because there is a link to a really cool Hawkwind song there. I mean, it’s still there, but will be falling off the page, and I know you guys LOVED that song!!

Being a jerk is a step towards banning. The warning just means that the mods are acknowledging your behavior.

If you want to play hard ball, the Pit beckons - milksop free.

Psst - Rick would like a word.

Yeah, we have rules against Rick rolls, but he got a commendation instead. :crazy_face:

That seems a silly justification. Like if a baseball player gets a strike called on him on a pitch a foot outside. Would you say that as he has two other strikes before he is called out, he has nothing to complain about?

Since every strike is his own fault, then I would definitely say it is his own fault. As analogies go, that one really struck out.

I was responding to the idea that even if it wasn’t his fault, it is merely a simple warning and not a banning.

No, as I believe engineer_comp_geek’s justification for the warning. So Bootb swung and missed instead of being a victim of a bad call.

I think the broader point you’re making (and what UV seems to be missing) is, if it is true that a warning was borderline questionable, that may yet be considered in the outcome as the rule here is not “three strikes and you’re out,” but “out when you can’t be tolerated anymore” or words to that effect. So it’d be like if the umpire called something questionable a strike, but then on the third strike their mental math said “strike two and a half…” and the batter got another chance.