English etiquette re: entering houses

I wonder how the body count in Midsomer Murders compares with its more high-brow predecessor, Inspector Morse. Set amongst the dreaming spires of that murder capital of England known as Oxford.

True fact: John Lennon and Paul McCartney met at a village fete. We’re just lucky they both escaped the carnage that was sure to follow, or we would have never had the Beatles!

Murdered Midsomerites can also reliably be found at the site of whatever new hobby Mrs. Barnaby happens to be pursuing that week, or occasionally among his daughter’s friends.

I dunno. I think the highest per capita murder rate in the world must belong to Cabot Cove, Maine. I mean, the population is something like 600, but every episode, four or five citizens buy the farm.

Definitely avoid all social events attended by Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, either of the Barnabys, Jessica Fletcher, and Father Brown.
When I lived out in the country, I never locked the doors when I was away. I was so far off the road that someone could have sat there and MADE a key without anyone seeing. Also the windows were ground level and didn’t lock. I’d rather someone just come in and help themselves without breaking any windows. I DID lock the doors when I was home. When we moved in, there was a key, but over the years the house shifted (pier & beam on sand) and the bolt no longer worked. When I sold the house, the new owners asked for the key, and I said, “There isn’t one.” :slight_smile:

Mmm - yes, I wasn’t joking. This is long established.

Incidentally, I realise now that there should have been a typo in my reply. I know it’s unusual to say there should have been a typo, but I wrote:

“… an imaginary England which never existed, where the post is delivered promptly twice a day…”

Clearly that should have been

“… an imaginary England which never existed, where the PAST is delivered promptly twice a day…”

:wink: - (Kinda)

j

That’s why it’s twinned with Cabot Cove.

You’ll have heard of the “fete worse than death”?

That’s bad, and you should be ashamed.

Fair enough.

Just to note that article is over 7 years old, and recent seasons have most certainly had a fair few black and brown faces, including that of the pathologist in seasons 18 & 19.

Ah, Brian True-May, creator of that paragon of military TV, Ultimate [del]Farce[/del] Force.

after 235 murders None of Jessica Flatcher’s friends seem the remotest bit worried about meeting her.

Hell I struggle to have 200 Facebook friends, let alone “proper” friends. She’s had that many killed WHILST SHE WAS VISITING THEM.

Run, run for your lives, associates of JB Fletcher. Yes, this quiet town of Midsomer looks safe.

heh heh heh

Alhtough the county town, Cawston, does not have "Midsomer’ in the name. Plus, although Cawston is much the largest town in the county, no murders ever happen there, although they are routine incidents in almost every other settlement in the county.

This. In fact Mrs Barnaby is the common factor that links a long series of otherwise apparently unconnected murders. I am astonished that the constabulary have not cottoned on to this. Unless, of course, she is being protected by some high-ranking member of the force?

Don’t forget that village fetes also usually afford one the opportunity to see a legendary band or solo performer for free.

In passing, can I highly recommend the BBC Radio 4 program "more or less". It deals with the stats behind the news stories and it is uniformly excellent and is precisely in line with the Dope’s brief.

As it happens it dealt with precisely this issue and as I recall Midsomer was pretty dangerous but Cabot Cove was worse. (here’s a clip…not sure if it is available overseas)

Some 55 years ago I spent my summer holidays on a small island (147 inhabitants) named Nyord.

When you came to visit someone you would immediately know whether they were at home or not; if a key was in the front door lock, they were out, else you would just clap your hands and enter.

And, when I was young (which was long after the country was depopulated by modern farming and declining labour requirements :slight_smile: ), you could knock, call, and wander into the kitchen to get a cold drink of water from the fridge.

In Aus, there is an offense of "unlawfully on premises’, which, I think, means it’s illegal to be inside without a lawful excuse. And, I think, a lawful excuse just means it can’t be an unlawful excuse. But it does have to be an actual excuse, that you can convince a police sergeant or magistrate with – just wandering around inside isn’t an excuse. So, similar to old English trespass laws, but tighter and with penalties.

(This is far off at the edge of my legal knowledge).

Spam reported.

A useless spammer who can’t spell - boarder?