Enterprise: Acquisition thread (Spoilers)

I like Archer less and less with each episode…but I am in love with Trip. And biggirl, what’s the matter with a little eye candy for us women? How often does that happen? Archer in his underwear (1st show I think), and then in the shower (yum), and now Trip (yum-yum). Every episode you got the VSK* slinking around.
*Vulcan Sex Kitten

As a side note, I think this ep gives further proof of my theory that Archer’s dog is actually a robot of some kind. The baddies lock it in a trunk and it doesn’t bark, whine, growl, or make any noise until Archer opens the box and -hey!- there’s a happy dog inside! All together now: awwww.

I’m not complaining about the undies, just noting is all.

Although I’m a fan of all the series I’m not a fanatic (there’s a difference you know) so if someone will explain to me about Vulcans and emotions.

Spock was half human, yet he rarely showed any hint of emotion. the VSK is supposedly all Vulcan but she’s always getting mad, turned on; she even showed hints of jealousy. She doesn’t seemed to be supressing her emotions so much as trying to hide them (and not doing to good a job at it).

So, do Vulcans not feel emotions at all, repress them into their subconscious or have them just like humans but ignore them? What’s the deal?

Especially unbelievable as Porthos is a beagle. By all rights we should hear him yapping in the background all the time.

I haven’t seen the whole thing yet, but the early shots of Ron Howard looked like they hadn’t done anything to his teeth to make them more Ferenghi. Not like they’d need to…

I mean Clint! God, he must be sick of that by now!

Will this episode count toward the castmembers’ Bacon Numbers? If it does the’re all 3s now.

I would take issue with that. If you watch TOS closely, you’ll see that Spock frequently displayed emotion. It was often simmering below the surface, but it was there.

Vulcans repress their emotions; their ancestors were war-like and (if I recall correctly), they almost killed off the race, so they decided they had to learn to control and repress ALL emotions, because emotions (good and bad) got them in trouble. Spock was very subtle when he did show a bit of emotion – mostly by a lift of the eyebrow or faint smile or look or other body language; what I dislike about the VSK is, in her attempt to not show emotions, she speaks in a monotone, and comes off as robot-like. I always thought that showing a little emotion would be a good thing for her – soften her up a bit. Now, in this ep, she HAD emotional reactions – first she was offended by Archer’s comments (and that didn’t make sense as they were said for her benefit so the Ferenghi wouldn’t want her), then she toys with him about unlocking the handcuffs – but there was no change in her voice or facial expression. It could and should have been (and maybe was supposed to be) a cute, funny little scene, but it fell flat for me.

Here’s a chat that addresses some of the issues. I thought he said that the Vulcans haven’t develpoed their style yet, but I can’t find that reference.

http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/2002/03/26/1017202893.html

another explanation for why T’Pol and Spock are different when it comes to emotional control is that supressing Vulcan emotions is a discipline that is learned over a very long period of time

Given that, maybe Spock had a far higher degree of mental training than T’Pol and therefore:

1. Is not prone to emotional outbursts such as T’Pol being offended, or her occasional her occasional banal attempt at humor.

2. Is more confident of his ability to suppress his emotions and therefore has latitude to not seem so wooden, like T’Pol sometimes comes off as.

It seems like all of the problems that the T’Pol character has stem from her being very young, still trying to impress herself with how un-emotional she can be, and yet still not fully in control.

But that’s just my two cents.

On the talk show where she laid down on the guy’s desk she said the character is 60.

that’s pretty young for a Vulcan right?
The other explanation of course is if she was taught how to repress her emotions in a far different way than Spock.

I thought it was in that link I posted, but one of the writers says that just as humans don;t have their act together yet, neither do Vulcans.

Here we are. It was Brannon Braga, the Great Satan himself. :slight_smile:

http://www.section31.com/stories/mar-2002/032702_c.shtml

I guess it’s a thin line between not expressing and actually repressing. If that’s what Jolene Blalock is trying to convey, then she’s doing a bang up job.

If those lips ever quit repressing there’s going to be a bang up. What are they implanted with, silicon? Mylar? bee stings?