Entertainers who "got out of their lane" and failed

There’s a couple of other threads about serious actors going comedy and comedians going dramatic, both about the successes, but what about the failures?

Who’s tried to “change lanes” and failed?

Vince Vaughn qualifies I think. His hits, and most of his work, have always been comedies and he’s usually good in them, even if the movie isn’t great. He’s usually a kind of sarcastic “straight man” and he’s got that character down. He fails at dramatic roles because he essentially plays them the same way, but without the sarcasm, which is basically the only reason he’s likable at all.

I’m going to nominate Elvis Costello’s and Paul McCartney’s various attempts at “classical” music. (You did say entertainers, not just actors).

Yup. Everything’s fair game here.

I win.

Well, Keanu Reeves got waaay out of his lane for “Much Ado About Nothing” but he still prospered quite well when he went back to his lane.

IIRC Garth Brooks made an attempt at doing rock music, and it didn’t go well for him.

And Dee Dee Ramone quit The Ramones and put out a rap album, which was abysmal.

The number of actors and actresses who’ve tried to launch music careers and failed is legion.

You remember correctly (mostly). He released a rock album in 1999, under the persona of “Chris Gaines” (though it was no secret that Gaines was Brooks) and while it was critically panned, a song from the album made #5 on the Billboard pop chart.

I would argue Pat Boone was just doing what he always did; adopting a counterculture and neutering it.

Jerry Lewis’ The Day the Clown Cried.

That album was hilarious! I laughed harder than I had in years when I first heard it. Job well done!

Jerry Lewis as well for his attempt at talk show host. And he’s certainly not alone; a lot of comedians have failed spectacularly at breaking into talk shows. Chevy Chase, Wanda Sykes, Megan Mullally, George Lopez, Tony Danza, Caroline Rhea…

I remember the first episode of Chevy Chase’s talk show. It was painful to watch, he was so out of his element.

Eddie Murphy and John Travolta come to mind. Just because you got money and connections doesn’t mean you should attempt to crossover.

It physically hurt to hear those again after 40 years.

I won’t link to Don Johnson’s “Heartbeat” – you’ve suffered too much already.

Compared to Duane “The Rock” Johnson–Hulk Hogan’s movie career failed. Cite: Santa with Muscles and Mr Nanny

Hogan’s attempted rap career was not much better: Hulk Hogan- I Want to Be a Hulkamaniac - YouTube

And then there was his attempt at an Italian restaurant:

Emeril Lagasse. Successful as a TV chef, but he was awful when he was tapped to star in a sitcom.

In 1991, when he was a reasonably well-regarded action movie star, and not seen as a weirdo, Steven Seagal worked with some entrepreneurs to opened a restaurant, under his own name, in downtown Chicago. It failed within months.

Kevin Costner had initial success as a director with “Dances With Wolves”, then came the back to back stinkers “Waterworld” and “The Postman” (Costner didn’t direct Waterworld but he was a producer, and I think he used his Hollywood clout to get it made).

In the same vein, I predict a future failure for Eminem’s restaurant “Mom’s Spaghetti”. A take-out only restaurant, whose existence is completely based on a song lyric, that only serves spaghetti? After the initial curiosity of the gimmick wears off I can’t see it having much staying power.

Although, it’s got 4.5 stars on Google after 761 reviews, so maybe it’s the best damn spaghetti ever.