Erasing History - Who? When? How?

I don’t hate them. I just don’t want my son dating one of them. It’s just weird watching them write - not natural at all.

And watching them jerk off is just intolerable!!!

If you’re not comfortable watching mollydookers jerk off then you shouldn’t have sat next to them in the bus in the first place!

Can I just point out that comparing the Vikings to the people that currently live in Norway is kind of laughable?

Viking culture went extinct. They didn’t “make up” with the English, they were conquered nearly to the last man by Christianity and interbreeding.

I think that both sides have to acknowledge past conflicts in order to get over them, but I don’t think that constantly bringing up those conflicts is helpful. Just like in personal relationships, you both have to take responsibility for your actions, apologize to each other, and then move on. If things are like a stereotypical bad marriage, where one person or the other won’t let a past mistake alone but instead has to bring it up any time there’s even a slight disagreement, then the relationship will never get any better. That refusal to forgive, that dogged determination to reopen wounds, will constantly poison things between them.

Oh, no, there was never any history of discrimination. My aunt is only in her early 50s and she had her hand smacked a few times when she was a kid for using the “wrong” hand. Older people I’ve met do have some horror stories that are about as bad as some of the stuff on that last cite, having their hand tied down so they couldn’t use it, being yelled at for doing things the wrong way.

The treatment of lefties outside the US is still bad sometimes. I was told by two shodô teachers that they couldn’t teach me. No apology, they just threw up their hands and more or less said, “forget about it, I can’t teach you if you use your left hand.” Even US-based martial artists in Japanese arts can’t deal with left handed weapon work, because they were taught that left-handed people have an advantage doing things the same way as righties. (Bullshit, by the way. If there was an advantage to putting the strong hand on the far end of the hilt in sword work, right-handed people would have reversed the placement long, long ago). I have seen left handed kids forget about it for a second and get yelled at for holding a shinai the wrong way around. Kind of ironic, because lefties can actually have an advantage in war due to the fact that their foes are almost certainly not used to fighting someone who is left handed.

Oh yeah, we’ve always been best buds. Our first contact with Japan was gunboat diplomacy. Japan latched on to other Western powers through treaties in order to have some protection from unilateral action on the part of the US. Perry came in and rubbed their noses in the fact that they couldn’t just keep the world at arm’s length any more. They were not happy about that. That touched off internal conflict in which thousands of Japanese and a not insignificant number of foreigners were killed or assassinated.

Things got bad enough that eventually Western powers (including the US) got involved, and that led to the restoration of the Emperor to power, but it took a civil war to get that far. The die-hard factions thought of Meiji as a puppet of Western imperialism, and at first they probably weren’t wholly wrong. (If you’ve ever seen The Last Samurai, that movie was a fictionalized depiction of a part of this historical conflict.) The Meiji Restoration and period of reform, while introducing some changes we would consider to be positive, also set the stage for religious fanaticism as Shinto was twisted to make the Emperor into not just the head of the state, but a descendent of the divine.

Japan’s later expansion through opportunistic attacks on Axis territory and other areas, while nominally supporting the Allied forces in WWI, set up an almost inevitable later conflict with imperial Western powers. It became quite obvious shortly after the pause in open hostilities after that war, that Japan would come into conflict with US, English, French, and Dutch interests in the area. They lost no opportunity to expand during the post-War years.

Relations between Japan and the US were strained from the time Perry forced open the harbors, to a decade or so after the second World War. And truthfully, the main reason Japan was promoted as a nice-guy ally was because it was politically expedient for the US to do so. We needed a forward staging area as a bulwark against the Soviets.

Even more shockingly, there is the abject discrimination of refusing to allow people to play polo left handed!

Taking shodô classes here is about as elitist as playing little league in the US, if that was your point. Otherwise, I would imagine that there are safety reasons for the polo rule.

It was a joke. Nothing to do with elitism. But I couldn’t think immediately of other sporting activities that did not allow left-handed participation. I think field hockey might count, though you definitely used to be able to play left handed.

Huh
!so they got you fooled too eh?

There was a book that Iread about many years ago about partiality in history textbooks around the world, like in Indian ones apparently, The Black Hole of Calcutta never actually happened and that the Russians had invented every significant piece of technology in the world etc.(If anyone knows the name etc. I’d really like to get hold of it)

I always wondered why otherwise intelligent Irish people(And I’ve a GREAT many Irish friends,nearly married one) had such bizarre and distorted ideas about their own,British and the worlds history, until recently I learned that the guy in charge of the Irish schools textbook supply was one of the many quite senior Nazis who had escaped to and been welcomed with open arms to Ireland at the end of the war.
(Though apparently holocaust survivors were turned away)

These Nazis appeared to have been continuing their fight against the U.K. by proxy.
I wonder just how many if any of the U.K intelligence services or any governmental institutions were aware of this?
People were dying in Ulster because of the poison being fed to Irish children.
The finances of the Irish Schools authority never having been massive I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re still being used.

(Cite T.V documentary series called “Irelands Nazis” incidentally written by a native Irishman who fought for the allies against the Nazis

Umm… I hate to bring this up, but have you noticed that most African-Americans are significantly lighter than native Africans? That ain’t coincidence, it’s interbreeding.

It’s quite possible to hold a grudge against your own ancestors, as long as you don’t identify with them. I think a much bigger reason why the Brits don’t hold a grudge against the Scandanavians is because there’s been a thousand years since there was any sort of discrimination against Saxons or Romano-Brits, not because the British view themselves as Viking-descendents.

Albert Folens was not a “quite-senior Nazi”. He joined the Flemish Legion which was fighting on the Eastern front, but avoided active service on medical grounds. He instead worked as a translator for the Nazi security service in Brussels.

From what I gather he donated money to the families of hunger-striking republican prisoners, so I suppose he wasn’t the greatest fan of the UK. To be honest though there was nothing in those textbooks that would give anyone a “bizarre and distorted” view of history. Extremely subtle biases, possibly, but hardly “poison”…

It certainly gave a less bizarre and distorted explanation for the (extremely complex and two-sided) troubles in the North than you did :dubious:

If he was a mere pawn in the system why was it necessary for him to flee to Eire?
And the “I was only a translator,not a torturer or interrogator” raises some suspicion in my mind .
At wars end there seemed to be multitudes of cooks ,file clerks ,cleaners ,drivers and other staff working for the Gestapo and the like but there were apparently only two men and their dog called Spot responsible for all of the war crimes inflicted on the civilian populations in the whole of Europe .

I wont get too heavily involved in the Ireland discussion because it could quite easily take up a whole bevy of threads,but suffice it to say that there are quite a few English people who would dearly love to see a united Ireland and I am one of them(the Brit .government would like to see it as well I suspect but not from purely altruistic motives)

But leaving out other facets for the moment it would always realisticly a non starter in practice because nobody could ever trust what the republican movement said ,because they have told so many silly lies and distortions about historical and contemporary events in the past and even to this day they continue.