Eternal Investigation

As long as we were discussing the Illinois roadways…

Heading up I-55 northbound from the western suburbs to LSD, I passed a blue sign informing me that I was approaching an “Accident Investigation Site”. Eventually, I reached a sign telling me that said site was off to the right, and that was the end of that. I didn’t see any signs of an accident, but that doesn’t mean anything - it’s not like they leave cars sitting there for days while they investigate.

However, yesterday I was taking the same trip and the signs are still there. I should mention that it’s been over a month now between the two trips. How long does it take to investigate an accident? Am I just misreading the signs and actually there’s some permanent investigation site used for something? I think I remember seeing such signs around for a while in other places, but this is the one I immediately remember.

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Eternal investigation is insufficient. You must get recursive investigation. Get on the phone and ask the authorities to investigate why the signs are still up.

Ray

This is a guess, but I’m pretty sure the signs mark a designated area for motorists to go if they’ve had a fender-bender and can still drive. Instead of exchanging info on the side of the expressway, they can pull off to the “accident investigation area” to chat. It’s also a convenient place for cops to find you if you call them.

Temujin is correct. The ‘accident investigation site’ is where the cars are taken so that the highway patrol (state police, etc) can ‘investigate’ the accident. I believe that even cars that need a tow are taken here as quickly as possible, to free up the freeway.

You can also pull over there if you suspect your last fart involved either a liquid or solid.

Ahhh… Well, that makes some sense. Except that if I was in an accident two weeks ago, it’d of never occured to me to go to the Accident Investigation Area. I guess they need to get the word out.

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”