Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind cards

The cards that Lacuna sent out. Why would they do that? If I received one of those cards, I would check if it was dated April 1st. If not, I would still think it was a joke or some bizarre marketing campaign. And I would have shown it to the person involved. I think many people would do that.
Why not just not send out the cards?

Another thing that annoyed me was they did not mention the price of memory erasure. Surely it would have been thousands of dollars.Joel and Clementine did not seem rich.

These two aspects hindered my suspension of disbelief

I like this movie. I do not think it should be #38 at IMDB for the best movies of all time, but I liked it.

Why would it have cost that much? The only overhead is two nerds to sit with the wipee all night.

Just the labour costs which involved 4 people working on his case over a number of days. Plus two there for 8 hours. These people seemed to be trained professionals. Even if they were being paid $30 per hour. 4 people working about total of approx 40 hours on his case. That is $1200.Yes I know Dunst was just a secretary.
Then you have overheads at the office, equipment costs,etc. Then profit margin. I would say a bare minimum of $3000. That is serious money to someone working in a bookshop.It is serious money for most people including me.
This kind of procedure would be something that I would see marketed to high-rollers and rich assholes. I would see it being sold at $15000 a pop.

I would imagine most people would know their friend was going through the procedure. The person would probably tell them beforehand, etc. The cards were to remind people that they shouldn’t mention “event/person x” to that person since the procedure had just been completed. I can’t imagine most people would undergo such a procedure w/o telling anyone. It was a reminder card, not intended to alert people to something they didn’t know. It’s also a movie, try to to lose sleep over it.

Let’s say it was $3k. How hard would it be for most working people to get a $3k for something they think they need, and might consider a medical procedure? I’m sure most people could scratch up that much money. Hell, insurance might even cover it. It’s cheaper than long term therapy. Also, the numbers of “not rich” people getting cosmetic surgery, and living in debt is pretty staggering. In fact, if living with some memory was that debilitating, a few thousand bucks is a bargain.

Not mentioning the price hindered your disbelief, but erasing peoples’ minds leaving no trace of brain damage, then telling their friends, family, and co-workers to keep quiet about it is believable?

It’s highly rated by viewers, doesn’t mean it’s 38th best movie ever, not do they claim it is. I think it is a pretty exceptional movie though.

“Not mentioning the price hindered your disbelief, but erasing peoples’ minds leaving no trace of brain damage, then telling their friends, family, and co-workers to keep quiet about it is believable?”

I knew the movie had a sci-fi premise. I am happy to suspend my dis-belief for that. I studied Psychology for 5 years, so I am aware of the possiblities and impossibilities.
But things like not mentioning the money do put me off. Even if they mentioned in passing that they had to increase their Credit Card limit or something.

Necessary exposition. Without the cards, there would have been an interminable period where Joel imagined that Clem was suffering from some sort of medical/mental emergency – and then there would be no way for him to work it out without involving himself totally with her. The cards convey vital information in a straight-forward way and keep the story nice and tight.

If you absolutely must have a diegetic rationale for them, then just consider that they keep the client from being weirded out by having everyone go apeshit asking what the hell happened to them and trying to steer them into a a psych ward – and also that they’re low-key direct-mail advertising of a sort that apparently works.

Sure, but the hypothetical Author of Our Being allows us all sorts of behaviour that is counter to a well-designed narrative. That guy clearly needs an editor.

How would it have helped the story to have an extremely unlikely technology be prohibitively expensive? Ask yourself what Kaufman was trying to get at while he was writing the script. The movie explores what the effect would be if we could magically make all traces of the experiences we consider to be negative vanish over night. Would we be happier? Would we lose something besides the associated heartache? Does our suffering therefore have some value? Etc.

The idea of selectively editing your memory to remove everything associated with one person is already so far outside of the realm of plausibility and into the land of fanciful allegory that adjusting the price wouldn’t make it substantially more credible – the only thing it would accomplish would be to further insulate most of the audience from the characters: It would necessarily become a movie about how the ridiculously wealthy handle their emotional issues – and then you have a host of other problems, and certainly a poorer script.

Everyone else has added very insightful and logical things… so I’ll take the only that is left.

A normal brain wipe doesn’ take 8 hours. Joel’s took much longer because he started fighting it. The wipe crew mentioned that they had several more scheduled for that night.