Ethics of Suicide (tangent from "van lifer goes missing" thread)

Well, yes. Because that ethic does not correspond with your responses in this thread. The main reason you’ve been asked to stop is that what you are saying is extremely hurtful. People explained how your position would actually lead to more suicides. Your rebuttal is to say that your feelings matter more and to argue against positions no one has taken.

Suicidal people are not selfish. That is a hateful stereotype that has been used forever to attack anyone with any mental illness. The result has been that people don’t seek out help, because they don’t think they’re worthy of it.

Had you said something like “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone. It has always seemed selfish to me because […]. Why do you think it isn’t selfish?”—that would make sense.

Honestly, the only reason I haven’t pitted you is that I presume that this topic is causing you to relive trauma and preventing you from realizing how horrible what you are saying actually is. I’ve been there, where anger means I can’t think straight. (And, yes, the lashing out tells me you are angry.)

But I do have an ethical duty to make it clear that everything you have said here is wrong, to try and undo the damage you are causing. I’ve also made it clear that I will always defend the mentally ill. I can easily see a suicidally depressed person saying you are right, not having the ability to defend themselves due to their illness. And I will defend them against those who want to call them selfish.

If I were to call you selfish, I know you’d see it as an insult.