I downloaded some software from a german company , thats worked quite well on my palm and now I am going to pay for the licensced version.
On the website that the company has for paying the dosh , the quoted price was
19,95
And when I plugged that into a currency converter online , 28 hundred bucks canadian was not a nice surprise , but plugging the same number in with the decimal instead of the comma, it came out to just about 30 dollars canadian.
19,95 is how most European countries write 19.95. They use a comma instead of a decimal point.
The currecny converter site you used (was it XE.com?) obviously doesn’t recognise that. I just tried converting “19,95” euros to Canadian dollars and it came back with “1,995.00 EUR = 2,918.76 CAD”.
I have no idea why it thinks that “19,95” is actually “1,995”, but anyway, it should be just under $30, yes.
[QUOTE=Pushkin]
For the reason above, we were taught in school (here in the UK) not to use commas when writing down long strings of digits.
[/QUOTE]
Yes - were you taught the same as me, to put no commas but to group digits into threes, so as to still indicate the place value of thousands/millions/billions, with slight spaces between?
[QUOTE=GorillaMan]
Yes - were you taught the same as me, to put no commas but to group digits into threes, so as to still indicate the place value of thousands/millions/billions, with slight spaces between?
[/QUOTE]
Just like that, not 1,999,999 but 1 999 999 for example.
[QUOTE=Colophon]
19,95 is how most European countries write 19.95. They use a comma instead of a decimal point.
The currecny converter site you used (was it XE.com?) obviously doesn’t recognise that. I just tried converting “19,95” euros to Canadian dollars and it came back with “1,995.00 EUR = 2,918.76 CAD”.
I have no idea why it thinks that “19,95” is actually “1,995”, but anyway, it should be just under $30, yes.
[/QUOTE]
Sorry for delay in replying , but first thanks for the confirmation, and second it was XE that did the erroneous currency conversion, first one to come up in google.